Author Topic: Multi-node setup, eg several DCs  (Read 1285 times)

_b_

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Multi-node setup, eg several DCs
« on: December 02, 2014, 10:37:52 am »
hi there,

i have been playing around with zentyal (3.5, 4) in a couple of scenarios and think about using it for a migration at a customers site.

along with virtualization i guess everyone is experiencing the benefit of horizontal scaling, i mean having a dedicated vm for any given task. one for the directory, one for mail, one for file, ... . the installer as well as the interface of zentyal provide configuration settings for a multinode setup. and as far as i have been testing, this works like a charm. (in v4.) really nice.

one thing, which seems to be a "hardcoded" service, is: openchange - and with it the mail services - needs to reside on the first installed machine of a multinode scenario. is that right? what i did is: install the first machine, create a bunch of users. install the second (an additional as would be any number of second machines) machine, and wanted to put the mailservices here. but the interface told me, openchange can only be activated on the first machine. (well, not literally, but the meaning was like that.)

is there any documentation about multinode installation? i did not find it.

i think of a setup like this:
- "dc" (as a replacement for opendirectory/ldap mac osx)
- fileserver (replacement for server 2003)
- mailserver (replacing my own cyrus/qmail)

if anyone of you has experience, advice or a link to a document, i'd really appreciate input on this.

thank you
sebastian
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 11:36:55 am by _b_ »

rrosson

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Multi-node setup, eg several DCs
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 07:01:49 pm »
Did you ever get any response to this. I am looking at doing the same thing except for adding DHCP/DNS as well to the mix. I am curious on if you moved forward and if you had any issues with DNS being carried across all nodes.

-Ron

jbahillo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Multi-node setup, eg several DCs
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 10:32:49 pm »
Hello Openchange and mail server need to be on the same host. you could have:
1 node Openchange + DC
1 node ADC + file server
any other ADC's you want

Openchange needs to be the 1st domain controller, or you'll need to use CLI to transfer FSMO Schema Master role.
File Server needs to be an ADC as Zentyal only supports member mode for squid(proxy)