Author Topic: Syslog Client  (Read 2707 times)

ShosMeister

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Syslog Client
« on: January 31, 2015, 09:15:57 pm »
I know there is a syslog built into Zentyal.

I also searched and saw the posts requesting various syslog changes.

What I am unable to find is how would I point my Zentyal box to output all of it's logs to my existing syslog server?

We are in a lab environment so no danger of things getting out and we have a central management server which handles lots of tasks. One of which is syslog. We've managed to get most things pointed there as the routers/switches and such are simple to configure. Issue is, I can't find where in Z to tell it not to keep the syslog files local but dump everything to the server.

Guessing it's in one of the .conf files but couldn't figure which one and didn't want to break it in the process of trying to move things around.

Thanks!!!

jbahillo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Syslog Client
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 05:22:45 pm »
Zentyal comes with standard syslog daemon (as any Ubuntu does) So standard procedure for centralized logs appy to Zentyal as well

ShosMeister

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 01:38:48 am »
Okay thanks. So just to be sure, I'd probable need to edit the rsyslog.d/<something>.conf file (sorry about the <something> but not at the machine right now to look in the directory)?

Then I'm guessing there will be an entry for syslog files going to a local directory somewhere. Just change that to point to the server by IP address or do I need to create a mount point (thinking IP address).

jbahillo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 10:19:09 am »
Hello:

In order to properly configure rsyslogd you should have a look at some documentation from that software

Look for instance at https://www.marcus-povey.co.uk/2013/05/15/using-a-central-log-server-to-monitor-your-devices/

As you can see it is not just adding an IP number ;)

Finally, I can confirm you that currently Zentyal does not modify any syslog configuration file