Author Topic: How to install Zentyal 4.0?  (Read 1310 times)

bejje

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
How to install Zentyal 4.0?
« on: November 20, 2014, 02:48:10 pm »
Maybe I'm stupid or there is something wrong with the Zentyal 4.0 iso that can be downloaded from this site.
When booting up the installation It first of all says Ubuntu in the logo and not Zentyal as can be seen in the installation guide. There are two options
Install Zentyal 4.0(delete all disk) or Install Zentyal 4.0 (expert mode)

I have tried both, but when it's finished it looks like any normal Ubuntu server install. Any shortcuts on desktop to Zentyal cannot be found. Also the installation is exactly like Ubuntu server, so during installation I get to choose what to install. The options to choose from is also exactly like Ubuntu server and no option to install anything Zentyal related can be found.

So, how do I install it and get Zentyal Administration icon on desktop as the guide shows? Has my failure anything to do with me selecting Ubuntu default desktop (unity) as desktop?

robb

Re: How to install Zentyal 4.0?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 07:58:38 pm »
You probably installed the headless version (without the desktop)

If you do an ifconfig in the terminal of the installed server you will get back the IP address.
Then go to your pc and launch a browser. Then go to https://<server ipaddress>:8443
Then the web management will appear where you can log in with the account you installed Zentyal with.

bejje

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 10:58:41 pm »
I downloaded the complete OS as an ISO from this site. According to the install instructions found here it shows nothing about needing to select packages. It also shows that when booting up it should say Zentyal on the logo, but it actually says Ubuntu instead.
https://wiki.zentyal.org/wiki/En/4.0/Installation#zentyal-installer

So the install instructions is wrong and when it's done i don't see any Zentyal manager icon ocn desktop as the guide describes.
Is there any guide available that actually matches the installer?

robb

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 12:02:17 am »
During the install procedure there is at one point an option to install the server as headless. I suspect you have answered that with 'yes'

bejje

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 07:13:08 am »
I have seen no question that has word headless in it or anything similar.

robb

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 11:02:29 am »
I just tested just to be sure. When you choose expert mode, after you choose the partitioning scheme, you will get the screen where you get asked if you want to install headless or with graphical environment. If you want a graphical environment you should go ahead choosing 'NO'

I also tested default install. Then I just had the zentyal desktop right after installation. So IF you chose default install, and you don't get the zentyal desktop, there is something going wrong anyway.

Can you check the install log and see if there is anything that points to a problem?

« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 11:31:27 am by robb »

bejje

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 11:22:17 am »
I can say with 100% certainty that this question is not coming up for me. I have tried this several times and after the partitioning, the system is starting to install the core right away without asking anything more.

Are you running the iso file that can be downloaded from the site?

robb

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 11:32:46 am »

bidey

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2014, 12:20:43 pm »
Hi Robb,

I 'm having a challenge installing a LAN card on zentyal server. I have the driver on a cd and usb. Pls, how can I install the driver for the LAN card on  the zentyal server. I need to have two LAN cards on the server.

robb

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 12:46:36 pm »
Bidey, please don't hijack threads and open a new discussion for your problem. Thnx.