Author Topic: vlan passthrough for cisco ip phones?  (Read 1125 times)

onetrack

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
vlan passthrough for cisco ip phones?
« on: November 12, 2014, 06:33:58 pm »
Hi Everyone!
I am new to Zentyal and so far I am having a blast setting it up and seeing our office start using some of zentyals features. I currently have zentyal setup and it is running on vmware vsphere hypervisor 5.1. Here is my current setup:

cisco router --->Zentyal --->cisco switch --->nodes (computers, printers, phones, etc)

So my issue is that the cisco phones are running on vlan 172 from the router and they work just fine if I connect them to the router. If I connect them on the switch, which is on eth1 as internal, they dont work. I have the switch setup with needed vlans and such but am unsure how to configure Zentyal so the phones can communicate with the router. My Zentyal setup is as follows:

eth0 is setup as external (192.168.99.254) and eth1 is setup as internal (10.24.82.254). eth0 goes to the router and eth1 goes to the switch. No vlans are configured on zentyal as I am not sure how to set this part up.

Is there a way to just have the voip traffic "passthrough" or will I need to setup vlans and somehow set the vlans to communicate with the router? Any help is very appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

onetrack

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: vlan passthrough for cisco ip phones?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 09:45:10 pm »
Hi Everyone,
I will answer myself in part since no one else seems to have any ideas and in case anyone might need this in the future.

So what I have done so far is define one of my interfaces as a trunk, then create the vlans for that interface with an IP assigned to each one which will act as the gateway for each vlan setup in the switch. Then I just need to setup the rules in the firewall to allow or deny access between each vlan. Works really well for inter-vlan communication so far. now just to pass it through the other interface and out to the cisco voip server......

Anyone have any ideas?