Author Topic: €uro Symbol and Email  (Read 2768 times)

jamessweeney

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
€uro Symbol and Email
« on: December 04, 2009, 11:30:56 am »
Hi,

First off thanks for all the hard work in developing ebox. I am looking forward to 1.4 and the new features it has to offer.

I am having a few small and annoying problems though on 1.3.9.
1. The euro symbol does not display correctly in email. In its place I get a ? I know that egroupware offers different options for setting the character set but from past experience changing these options broke our installation. What is the best way of supporting the euro symbol?

2. I have two email aliases. One is the default for the virtual mail domain I setup and the other is my work email address. How can I change the default email address in egroupware so that each time I send an email I dont have to manually change the email address to my work one?

3. My final question is to do with IMAP. I have attempted to access my ebox email using Thunderbird over IMAP. I have IMAP enabled on ebox but Thunderbird times out when I attempt to connect to it. Is this an known issue or this there some other means to enable this?

Any help on the above would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
James

isaac

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: €uro Symbol and Email
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 12:00:20 pm »
1. The euro symbol does not display correctly in email. In its place I get a ? I know that egroupware offers different options for setting the character set but from past experience changing these options broke our installation. What is the best way of supporting the euro symbol?

I remember this, I'll check this and see if I can find a solution.

2. I have two email aliases. One is the default for the virtual mail domain I setup and the other is my work email address. How can I change the default email address in egroupware so that each time I send an email I dont have to manually change the email address to my work one?

I was having a look at the options and at the code and apparently there is no way to change this from the interface. I could try to come up with a patch for the code for this, but wouldn't be a 'clean' solution. If it's really important, I can give it a try.

3. My final question is to do with IMAP. I have attempted to access my ebox email using Thunderbird over IMAP. I have IMAP enabled on ebox but Thunderbird times out when I attempt to connect to it. Is this an known issue or this there some other means to enable this?

The 'time out' seems to indicate that the port it's trying to connect is closed, but I remember we tried to telnet the IMAP port and it's open. Maybe Thunderbird is trying to connect to a different port, you can check the port it's trying to connect using netstat ( http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/netstat.mspx?mfr=true). You can also try to enable IMAPS on eBox and try to set up Thunderbird to use IMAPS instead of IMAP.

Cheers!

jamessweeney

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 05:50:02 pm »
Hi Isaac,

Any update on these issues? I have made a number of updates to the php.ini file and the egroupware preferences but I still cannot get the euro symbol to display correctly in egroupware.

From where we are now we know that dovecot/postfix stores email in utf-8 because our email clients such as exchange and evolution display these characters correctly. However egroupware still displayes a € as a ? Note that we are able to display Irish characters such as á correctly in egroupware. However when we go to forward such a mail the Irish characters get converted to a ?

I updated to ebox 1.3.10 but no joy.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Best regards,
James

jamessweeney

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 12:17:37 pm »
Hi,

I found a solution to the €uro symbol problem thanks to Klaus at egroupware.
In the database you need to add the record below to the egw_config table.

insert into egw_config(config_app,config_name,config_value) values('phpgwapi',   'system_charset',   'utf-8');

This seems to provide the cleanest solution.

According to egroupware this problem does not occur on a fresh installation of egroupware only.

Can this be added to the ebox codebase?

Best regards,
James

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://blogs.zentyal.org/jacalvo
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 01:01:50 pm »
Hi James,

Thank you very much for your contribution!

Yes, I'm going to add this to trunk and it will be available in the next 1.3 release in a few days.
Zentyal Server Lead Developer

isaac

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 01:09:06 pm »
insert into egw_config(config_app,config_name,config_value) values('phpgwapi',   'system_charset',   'utf-8');

uhm, weird, i tried exactly that and somehow didn't work. maybe i didn't log out and in or something.