Author Topic: Is Zentyal ready for production?  (Read 2524 times)

rogerivy

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Is Zentyal ready for production?
« on: February 24, 2015, 10:35:17 am »
How close is Zentyal from being a production system?

I read threads about stability - and one person expressed his opinion that it was ok for a handful of users.
Is anyone actually using it as their primary mail server?
If so, how many users?
Did you manage to install your own SSL certificate (from a reputable CA)?

Just to be clear, I'm a great fan of the idea. I think a true competitor to MS is great. For me native mapi is essential. So is good support for Macs. We're currently on Kerio but wondering what we pay £400 a year for. We've installed Exchange 2013 but it's a beast.

SamE

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Is Zentyal ready for production?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 07:14:46 pm »
I recently setup Zentyal 4.0 as a email server for 40 people. It is stable, the anti spam and virus features work great, and it has a small memory footprint.
I would recommend testing this in a virtual machine first to get familiar with the software.
I am using self signed certs, but I only have 4 devices outside my Windows domain. There are ways to add reputable certs though.
The Exchange functions simply do not work. No automatic email retrieval, folders randomly refuse to synchronize, etc.
It works great as an IMAP server, and the SOGo webmail is adequate.

rogerivy

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 09:01:33 pm »
For us not having Exchange features working would be a show stopper. Hopefully those will be stable by the end of the year.

FWIW I have installed it on a VM. That's why I was wondering if it's ready for production - basically considering the possibility that I set it up wrong as opposed to it simply not being ready.

SilkBC

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 01:40:19 am »
The Exchange functions simply do not work.

What Exchange features do not work?  I tested it a number of months ago and it seemed to do most of the Exchange features (access other users' calendars, shared address books, etc.)

rogerivy

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 02:21:20 pm »
I'd also like to know the answer to this.

From some other threads I gather that you have to manually click end and receive and that the Exchange native compatibility is not that stable.

For me this big issues are:
1. I struggled to get Autodiscover to work. It was fine on the LAN, didn't work on the WAN.
2. SSL Certificates from a reputable authority are still a hack in the back end.

I think once it's stable it will be a great product. Hopefully soon.

tamuin

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 04:50:38 pm »
The Exchange functions simply do not work.

What Exchange features do not work?  I tested it a number of months ago and it seemed to do most of the Exchange features (access other users' calendars, shared address books, etc.)

See the post in the link below about my experience.  My initial testing seemed to indicate that everything worked ok (there were some issues noted in the documentation but no deal breakers).  When I tried it with 5-6 users a lot of problems came up.
https://forum.zentyal.org/index.php/topic,23641.msg95420.html#msg95420