Author Topic: "/bin/sh failed: exit code 1" after installing ebox-desktop  (Read 2507 times)

martinique

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
"/bin/sh failed: exit code 1" after installing ebox-desktop
« on: December 03, 2009, 11:39:39 am »
I decided to try out ebox-desktop on karmic (with eBox server 1.2), and it went quite well, although client-side setup wasn't quite as simple as documented (http://trac.ebox-platform.com/wiki/Document/Documentation/EboxDesktop). I thought it'd only ask for my eBox server address, but additionally it wanted to know these details:

• LDAP server Uniform Resource Identifier
  • Distinguished name of the search base
  • LDAP version to use
  • Make local root Database admin
  • Does the LDAP database require login

... and 1 or 2 more, IIRC. I was in a bit of a hurry so I'm not 100% sure if I entered the correct values for some of them, but afterwards logging in using eBox user accounts worked fine anyway, as did the automatic configuration for Pidgin and Firefox. However, a dpkg-reconfigure ebox-desktop only asks for the server address as documented. How do I reconfigure the rest, or do I even need to?

Then I tried to SSH the client computer using one of its local user accounts; Logging in works, but right after asking for a password it produces this error message: /bin/sh failed: exit code 1

I confirmed the behaviour on another client machine as well. It doesn't seem serious, though, because everything seems to work despite the error, but I'd sure like to know what causes it. SSH works without that error message when logging in with an eBox user account.

Also, is it safe to remove and/or reinstall the package without fears of messing up something?

malcor

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: "/bin/sh failed: exit code 1" after installing ebox-desktop
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 12:23:18 pm »
hi!

i think you have to reconf the ldap package wich is auto-installed as a depency of ebox-desktop
so

something like dpkg-reconfigure ldap-blubblub-config (see dpkg -l | grep ldap)

-
after ldap is working on client try the getent passwd command
grep for your username and look for your shell. is there a /bin/sh or /bin/false ?
if not i dont know
but if there is a sh or false:
connect to your ldap-server with an ldap client and change the value to /bin/bash
after that restart the client or type  "/etc/init.d/nscd restart"

that helps me! my /bin/sh error is gone... ;-)

malcor

martinique

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
Re: "/bin/sh failed: exit code 1" after installing ebox-desktop
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 12:51:32 pm »
Thanks, I found the correct package to reconfigure (ldap-auth-config). I'll check out the /bin/sh issue a little later.