Author Topic: Zentyal 3.5.1 Dynamic DNS no PTR Records  (Read 2580 times)

faustotex

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Zentyal 3.5.1 Dynamic DNS no PTR Records
« on: July 29, 2014, 12:32:27 am »
Zentyal appears to handle three distinct types of automatic DNS registrations:

1. hosts added to the DNS Hostnames list will be nicely registered, both forward and reverse entries.  This mechanism seems to work OK;

2. when DHCP "Dynamic DNS Option" is ENABLED, forward and reverse DNS records will be created each time DHCP issues a new lease.  This mechanism also seems to work OK;

3. when DHCP "Dynamic DNS Option" IS NOT enabled, forward DNS records will be created each time a client so requests, e.g. when Windows workstations are powered up or upon ipconfig /release + ipconfig /renew or ipconfig /registerdns;  however, PTR records ARE NOT created.  This is the mechanism which IS NOT working for reverse records.

I have verified that PTR records can be made to work under these circumstances if the "update-policy" statement which controls updates from machines other than the local machine, in the declaration of reverse zones of file "/etc/bind/named.conf.local", is changed to update-policy {grant * wildcard * PTR TXT;};

Other more restrictive policies, such as specifying the wildcard *.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa in the tname field, also works with the "wildcard" matchtype.  However I could not make work any policy utilizing matchtypes "subdomain" (as configured by Zentyal), "self", "tcp-self" or any others.  It seems "tcp-self" would be the most appropriate matchtype for the job here.

Success or failure of a remote ipconfig/renew request can be monitored by "tail -f /var/log/syslog".

I was able to change the relevant line(s) of named.conf.local, by editing "/usr/share/zentyal/stubs/dns/named.conf.local.mas".