Author Topic: Zentyal as PDC with external DNS and DHCP possible?  (Read 2189 times)

nub

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Zentyal as PDC with external DNS and DHCP possible?
« on: December 01, 2016, 04:49:46 am »
I'm planning a new network with no Windows Servers and would like to use Zentyal as the PDC. My question is, is it possible to use Zentyal as a PDC with DNS an DHCP being handled by another server, specifically PfSense?

Sand_man

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
Re: Zentyal as PDC with external DNS and DHCP possible?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 06:14:46 am »
I think so, there is nothing stopping to have two DNS servers (Zentyal and PfSense) on the network, and specify the server DHCP zentyals DNS. But can answer the one who has this configuration, I have everything in zentyal.

gabriel.gheorghiu@abt.ro

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 08:43:20 am »
I think is better to use Zentyal as PDC, local DNS, DHCP (File server, ...) for LAN, with DNS forwarder to pFsense and pFsense as UTM.
I use some kind of configuration (Endian as UTM with 4 zones: RED, GREEN, ORANGE, BLUE; Zentyal as multidomain email server in ORANGE (DMZ); NethServer 7rc2 as PDC/AD/File Server in GREEN).

nub

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 02:19:16 am »
Thanks for the replies. I really like the DHCP and DNS functionality in PfSense. PfSense allows me to create c-names, and hostname IP addresses are also automatically mapped from DHCP. I'm just concerned about domain functionality not working with an external DNS.

Jordanlcn

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 12:40:29 am »
as far as I can tell. You need DNS to be Zentyal to make domain functions to work. I tried the separate DNS but couldn't make it work at all. although take that as a grain of salt since I'm not an expert nor even an advanced user.