Author Topic: 3.5 File Sharing and Printers problems ?  (Read 1089 times)

marcolino

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
3.5 File Sharing and Printers problems ?
« on: July 08, 2014, 02:17:58 pm »
Good morning,

I'm Marco from France.

I'm testing Zentyal 3.5 against a previous 3.4 installation, that worked great, and I've noticed several bugs (I think), so I would like to share my experience, hoping this may help.

I want to use Zentyal as a Windows server remplacement, so I use "Users, Computers & File Sharing" module, configured as Standalone AD DC server with ~ 15 domain users.
I also activate roaming profiles.

I also use the "Printers" module, to use Zentyal as Printer server, using Point'n'Print feature to make easy the installation of new printer drivers on Windows workstations.

So, this is what I noticed :

1) creating a new AD user doesn't automatically create the corresponding roaming profile directory under /home/samba/profiles.
To create it, I need to disable and enable again roaming profiles under OFFICE / Domains / Settings in webadmin interface. After that, all new users have their own profile sub-directory created and ready.

2) Printers module doesn't seem be correctly detected by Zentyal scripts, because, even if installed, activated and have a printer being shared, in /etc/samba/smb.conf following lines always appears :

load printers = no
    printcap name = /dev/null
    show add printer wizard = no
    disable spoolss = yes

I've been able to workaround this by forcing "print => 1" at the begining of file /usr/share/zentyal/stubs/samba/smb.conf.mas , but of course this is not the right way to do, because at each zentyal-samba component update, i will lost my modifications.

But at least, printing and drivers sharing work for the moment.

About printing, i also have to change some file permissions :

chown -R root:domain\ users /var/lib/samba/printers
    find /var/lib/samba/printers -type d -exec chmod 3777 {} \;

chmod 755 /var/lib/samba/private/sam.ldb.d

And with Microsoft RSAT "AD Users and Computers Manager" I have to add the Print Operator group to Domain Admins and Domain Users groups.

Otherwise it was impossible to put new drivers to share with Windows workstations for automatic printer installation.

3) Why there are similiar directories under /opt/samba4 ? I mean :

/opt/samba4/var/print
    /opt/samba4/var/spool

Best regards
Marco

papajulio

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Monk
    • View Profile
Re: 3.5 File Sharing and Printers problems ?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 09:46:06 am »
Hello Marco, could you please create two separate tickets for each issue copying the description you just did in this post, in our tracker?

https://tracker.zentyal.org

In this way we will deal with them and fix the bugs.

Thanks you for your time.
--
Julio José García Martín - QA Engineer