Author Topic: Samba Drive-letter  (Read 1522 times)

koenraad

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Samba Drive-letter
« on: June 10, 2014, 12:42:50 pm »
Hi,

I'm new with zentyal.
I successfully configured zentyal 3.4 to be a domain-controller (test-setup for now). One thing I can't configure though, is the drive letter, the letter of the "home-share" of a user. I would like it to be "F". Unfortunately, the choice starts with "H". My users are used to use the f-drive, so I would like to keep it that way.
In this forum I found an old topic (about 2009) about this. I could try to do it that way, but one of the remarks was that updates did undo the modification.
Is there a new way to do this ? Since I'm not adding new users all the time, it's a minor annoyance.

Koenraad

royceb

Re: Samba Drive-letter
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 02:46:44 am »
Usually this is set by you as you map the network drive to the windows machine.  I'd say the only requirement is that you don't have a device occupying F already (if so you will want to de-associate it and then remap the device).

koenraad

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 09:09:42 am »
It seems I did not explain wel enough.
See the screenshot what I mean with drive H.

robb

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 04:51:36 pm »
Then don't use the option that is used in Zentyal admin page but map your own driveletter(s) using a login script.

StuartNaylor

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 05:20:47 pm »
http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_a_home_share

log on to one of your clients as a domain admin and have a look at what the profile details are in AD users and computers.

koenraad

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 08:05:41 am »
I know I can modify the home-share from a windows-computer, using the user-settings.
But since that setting is there in zentyal why would I use a windows-computer ? But since zentyal restricts the choice, I will have to use a windows-computer, which does not impose such a restriction.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 08:08:30 am by koenraad »

StuartNaylor

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 10:09:57 am »
koenraad,

Its a strange one this one. I have sort of thought very much the same at one stage.

Samba4 is basically an Microsloth AD server in the form of opensource code, which is great as this means its open and extensible.

The strange thing is that the Samba4 team don't actually provide any tools or even an API to there LDAP.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=7887 is actually probably one of the best and easiest ways to edit your users.

I have actually joined the Samba4 mail lists and tried arguing the fact that any server without admin tools has serious problems.

They seem to be very happy that even though Samba4 is an opensource Linux product the most common admin tool is RSAT.

The samba people didn't seem to like it when I told them this is a stupid scenario so we will jump that argument.

There is also apache directory studio and what I want to use is PhpLdapAdmin but so far I can't get the damn thing to connect.

So yes I agree it would be great if the Home drive was also part of the Zentyal user infomation as you might want to change it afterwards from the default.

A complete LDAP editor is a project in its own right and I can understand Zentyal just aiming at something simple.

The user manager in Zentyal actually is pretty pointless, but I need to check a few things in 3.5 as I am referring to 3.4.

Any users created out of the "Users OU" have missing attributes, Openchange emails and Jabber are examples of this.

This forces a single OU and a single group policy really negates the whole idea of group policies.

The user manager also can not create or display "Sub Organisational Units" and generally its not up to the task of organising anything but a simple small set of users with static default ldap entries.

If anyone can work out how to get http://phpldapadmin.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page to connect to samba please share and tell me.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 10:24:49 am by StuartNaylor »