Author Topic: Zentyal 3.4 install  (Read 1287 times)

peterdcross

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Zentyal 3.4 install
« on: May 29, 2014, 02:05:13 pm »
I am new to Zental and have downloaded the Zentyal Server 3.4 community edition and tried to install it in workstation v10.
I have various flavours of Linux currently install so the process is familiar.
The problem I have is every document I see starts at the successful boot of Zentyal into a GUI.
My experience it is booting into command line. I can login but it stops there.
I install Ubuntu Server and tried to the install from the CD (an iso mounted in reality)  all the file are present, but I cannot find instructions on this method of install, tons on YouTube etc. but none dealing with v3.4. So my question is: Does it work? if not where can I download a previous version?

it_admin

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Zentyal 3.4 install
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 02:23:48 pm »
It very well might be your system hardware causing the problem.  We were unable to install Zentyal on a brand new Lenovo server.  We ended up loading CentOS on the system, and loading Zentyal as a virtual machine.  They seem to have some issues with their video drivers.  A separate stand alone install on an 7 year old Dell Poweredge server went better for us.

Zentyal is a great protect, but still in its infancy.  It will be through folks like us reporting what we see, to make it better.

Kind regards,
Brian

peterdcross

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 02:32:53 pm »
The install is in workstation V10, a virtualised environment therefore it is not the hardware, I have Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu (workstation and Server)and Centos running without any problems. The command line of Zentyal is :

Ubuntu 13.10 zentyal ttyl.....
zentyal login:

Which accepts a login but stays at the commandline interface.

ergo it is not loading Zentyal, hence my question Does it work?
Accepting that previous versions do.

Please refer to:http://doc.zentyal.org/en/installation.html#zentyal-installer
The support documentation shows a zentyal 3.2 install process. It appears that the option to download version 3.2 is not available
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 02:44:00 pm by peterdcross »

it_admin

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 03:05:14 pm »
It could just be a failed installation of Zentyal.  We have seen in our testing, on various virtual, and physical machines that Zentyal appears to install correctly, but then experiences odd instability, or loading issues.  When we see this type of issue in the initial boot of Zentyal, we just blow away the installation, and try it again from scratch.  The fact that you can get Zentyal to load in 20 minutes, makes this a painless fix to a glitchy installation image.

Kind regards,
Brain

peterdcross

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 03:14:32 pm »
Blow away the install. Been there done that
I have two separate systems each with a separate download of zentyal and so far three installs all of which end up o the command line.

I and currently running:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install unbuntu-desktop

Is there a apt-get for zentyal?

it_admin

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 04:19:44 pm »
We run the install for Zentyal from the iso image that we burn to a DVD.  It loads the entire thing, including the Ubuntu for us.

peterdcross

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 06:08:18 pm »
I burnt the iso to disk, installed it from the disk instead of the iso and it worked. This is the first time I have ever come across this phenomena. I have build so many systems over the years it is quite extra-ordinary. We live and learn! Thank you for the comment.

it_admin

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 07:36:38 pm »
I'm glad it helped.  It works for us.  Zentyal forces us old time Linux types to work outside of our boxes, and do things he Zentyal way.  With 3.4 it is obvious they are working very hard to make their GUI the only operation interface for the system.  For continuity I think they frown on us old command line types tinkering under the hood of their system. :)

-A plus to the rep is appreciated.

Kind regards,
Brian