Author Topic: Openchange on non PDC ?  (Read 2373 times)

dannyboy1121

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Openchange on non PDC ?
« on: May 10, 2014, 09:50:57 pm »
I set up a couple of 3.4 servers with the plan for one to run the PDC on a management server network and the other to run internet facing services in a DMZ - set up as a secondary DC purely underpin Openchange.

Then I'm advised:

Your setup is not supported by Zentyal right now. You need either, have a MS Exchange installed already or provision OpenChange on the Samba server that manages the Active Directory schema. This server is not able to manage the schema, and thus cannot modify it to apply the required changes by OpenChange.

Fair enough - but do we know if this is planned to change? i.e. - Openchange running on non PDC? Perhaps there are ways to work around this?

[EDIT] - BTW, I appreciate that this is my first post and I've gone straight for the 'I want feature X' approach - but truth be told, I'm really impressed Zentyal. Great job.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 07:54:42 pm by dannyboy1121 »

dannyboy1121

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Openchange on non PDC ?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 12:27:27 am »
This is still the case in 3.5. I was hoping that changes to LDAP config meant that this would become possible.

Does anyone know if running OpenChange on a secondary DC rather than PDC  is on the roadmap?

StuartNaylor

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 07:45:37 pm »
To be honest I dont understand the Zentyal message.

Samba4 directory replication in a domain works 100%.

Again I only know this because of some tests with VM's http://sourceforge.net/projects/samba4all/

I am just testing some problems with ldbmodify and ubuntu14.04 as I think its ubuntu as both the sernet binaries and zentyal have the same errors.

Strangely ldbedit works great and it a super tool for editing the ldap.

I really don't understand the Zentyal error as with my project I have installed the zarafa schema's.

I have set up a PDC and ADC and if you add a user on either DC the user is replicated.

Also I only needed to setup the zarafa schema once on one dc and any entries are also replicated.

So exactly why we are getting that message has me confused as it shouldn't really matter and already work?!

« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 09:53:46 pm by StuartNaylor »

dannyboy1121

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 11:24:11 pm »
I wonder if it's just a hangover from when they were running OpenLDAP in parallel .. and it's been missed as an opportunity now we're 100% Samba4.

StuartNaylor

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 11:39:10 pm »
I think you probably have hit the nail on the head and we will see this rectified.

Personally the all in one of SBS needs a replacement. Also any sysadmin worth his salt wants a system that can grow and be partitioned in functional areas of singular failure.

I would love to see Zentyal being rolled out in LXC containers where the complexity is separated into partitioned systems.

But the s4sync was a stinker and I was unsure why the didn't set up openldap as a proxy.

It can all still be done and the 4.0 series look like an exciting time. If blackboxes running server apps floats your boat :)

CheetahCats

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 02:06:23 pm »
Absolutely shocking that this hasn't been addressed, and that OpenChange must reside on a PDC.

Provisioning apps and services across multiple server boxes is freshman networking 101;  This has been best practice since I was doing networking back in the MS LAN Manager / IBM LAN Server days (pre-NT!)

I've been test driving Zentyal to determine if obtaining the paid version is a worthwhile investment across my enterprise. Frankly, however, until this acute deficiency is addressed, Zentyal cannot be an option.