Author Topic: How do I easiest migrate users 3.3 -> 3.4  (Read 2788 times)

Beliaz

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
How do I easiest migrate users 3.3 -> 3.4
« on: April 29, 2014, 03:50:41 am »
I've been running Zentyal and Zarafa for long now and when 3.4 was released I emediate tried to upgrade via button on Admin page.

The upgrade failed and left system in unusable state.
I reinstalled 3.3 and restored configuration from backup and uninstalled Zarafa, (since it has been removed in 3.4) did a new backup and tried to upgrade again. No luck.
I did a clean 3.4 install and tried to restore the newly made backup from 3.3 (without Zarafa). That left me with an unusable webserver and unremovable leftovers with references to groupware (Zarafa) in at least Network -> Services.

I've given up migrating ALL settings to 3.4 from 3.3, and have limited my whiches just to be able to migrate users account, so that the users can keep their profiles and settings. Computer account would be grate to, but is not an issue (less than 10 computers to rejoin the domain)...

I even tried to install an virtual 3.3 and restored the backup, and on the 3.4 pointed out the virtual server as master, but got an ugly error.

Stumbled over an article about some script in Zentyal that unconfigured modules, but i cant find it again...

What do You suggest I should do to restore the users (and computers)?

Restore a 3.3 backup to the 3.4 system and unconfigure all modules except Users?
Sync the 3.4 server with a virtual 3.3 server and then change to standalone?

What are my choises...?

/ Bengt-Erik
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 07:58:32 pm by Beliaz »

Zei

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: How do I easiest migrate users 3.3 -> 3.4
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 11:13:08 am »
Hello Bellaz,

did you try with the script /usr/share/zentyal/restore-backup with the option --module? This script should be able to restore just the users module from a configuration backup.

Beliaz

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 07:12:37 pm »
Thank you! You saved me a lot of grief and work!

Zei

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: [SOLVED] How do I easiest migrate users 3.3 -> 3.4
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 11:53:28 am »
You are welcome ;)

Beliaz

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 08:30:44 pm »
I think I thanked You a little bit early... Now is the server in a misserable state.

Importing the users did not create their home folders. In zentyal.log I see something about "Failed to save changes in module samba: root command set -e" and "Error output: chown: invalid group: root:__USERS__".

I cannot add other users. And trying to export all users with command: "pdbedit -e smbpasswd:/root/samba-users.backup" displays these errors:
Code: [Select]
Importing account for user_a...ok
build_sam_account: smbpasswd database is corrupt!  username ZENTYAL$ with uid 0 is not in unix passwd database!
add_smbfilepwd_entry: entry with name ZENTYAL$ already exists
Importing account for ZENTYAL$...failed
build_sam_pass: Failing attempt to store user with non-uid based user RID.
Importing account for user_b...failed
Abot half of both users and computers is dumped to the export file.

I have received some important mail on this server so I really don't want to reinstall...

/ Bengt-Erik