Author Topic: Backing Up Windows Directories  (Read 1080 times)

aroadman

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Backing Up Windows Directories
« on: May 01, 2014, 11:05:28 pm »
i have recently been trying to backup a couple directories on a Windows server and based on the little documentation i have found i should be able to.

i am using FTP
i am using the FQDN for the Host or Destination for the remote Windows server, but i feel like there is something missing from the Host/Destination field since i have not input where i want it backed up to.

what should the format for the Include field be?  i have the drive format correct, (/D/SI Data), but am not sure how to include the server name for the associated folders to be backed up.

thanks in advance

royceb

Re: Backing Up Windows Directories
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 10:44:43 pm »
I had a similar issue as well but there are plenty of ways to go about this.

Either you can create a network share on the Zentyal client that the Windows Server mounts sand have a local script  (or program) on the Windows side sync from it's shares to the Zentyal shares.

Another possible route is to create a cron job script that mounts the Windows Share and Rsyncs the folders accordingly.  I can't speak from personal experience from the built in backup feature Zentyal has on the GUI portion but I have read around the forums of issues arising here and there for custom jobs.

There are tons of tutorials out there that help walk you through these processes you just need to find out what you need in terms of backup (frequency, back up job types, compression, encryption, ...), security, locations and what you are most comfortable working with.