Author Topic: Use Zentyal as a gateway behind an ISP provided router  (Read 1577 times)

andreicek

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Use Zentyal as a gateway behind an ISP provided router
« on: May 02, 2014, 09:11:29 am »
Hello!

I just want to check if this will work.

I am planning on putting my Zentyal server behind my ISP router that I need to keep due to VoIP telephony and TV but have all other traffic from access point and wired connections go thru Zentyal. My plan was to open all ports on the ISP router to Zentyal so to put him in "DMZ", connect router to eth0 on Zentyal, and then connect the switch to eth1 on Zentyal.

I will then set up DNS, DHCP (with Zentyal as DNS and Gateway), and Firewall on eth1. I will use 172.16.0.0/24 on the eth1, and 192.168.0.0/29 on the ISP router and eth0.

Will this work? What do I need to be careful about?

robb

Re: Use Zentyal as a gateway behind an ISP provided router
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 11:05:05 am »
This will work perfectly. In fact, as long the ISP router can't be put in bridge mode, you will have to use this method. My homesituation is exactly the same and is working like a charm.
If you intend to have Zentyal services available from outside, you have to create forward rules in your ISP router to Zentyal for those services. In that case eth0 must have a static IP too.

A lot of ISP routers also have an AP built in. My advice would be to disable WiFi on the ISP router and place an AP behind Zentyal so your wireless clients are also behind Zentyal.

andreicek

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 11:50:29 am »
In fact, as long the ISP router can't be put in bridge mode, you will have to use this method.

I will have to take a look at if I can put it in bridge mode or not, but I highly doubt it. But if what you say is true, and I am sure it is, this is great!

A lot of ISP routers also have an AP built in. My advice would be to disable WiFi on the ISP router and place an AP behind Zentyal so your wireless clients are also behind Zentyal.

I already have a separate AP because of the one ISP proveded me with didn't have Enterprise auth.

Thanks!

One question, now my Zentyal sever is behind a switch and when I set it up on devices like it is a gateway I can't access the Internet or local network. Both the Zentyal and clients use the same switch. (The line "Zentyal as gateway" means that the DHCP is set up so that it gives the Zentyal as gateway)

robb

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 12:05:55 pm »
That is not going to work.
You use Zentyal as a Gateway so there must be at least 2 interfaces: 1 for WAN and 1 for LAN

So you should change your setup to:
internet - ISP router - eth0Zentyal - Zentyal - eth1Zentyal - switch - LAN

andreicek

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 12:13:59 pm »
Ok, then. This was just to test it out.  :) Now I use Zentyal as a virtual machine for DHCP, but in a week I will move it to a physical machine.

Thank you for your help!