Author Topic: adding disk question  (Read 2300 times)

abeeber

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
adding disk question
« on: March 30, 2008, 12:05:57 am »
Hi everyone,

I have a disk related question. I have read some of the posts on this forum and have been able to add a second disk to my system via editing the fstab file.

I used the following.. /dev/hdb1 /usr/local etc... which upon reboot presents the second disk on my system via the web intereface.

My question is how do I go about sharing this disk from Samba. I have tried to use the fstab file to map the disk to the /home/samba mount point with little luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again...

Andrew

jcanfield

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius...and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction."  --  Albert Einstein

abeeber

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: adding disk question
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 03:05:39 am »
thanks. I'll check it out.

By way of reference. I created a group and a share, and then edited the fstab file to mount to the same folder/directory that held the share.

This was the only way I could figure out on getting the extra disk to show up within Samba. I did have to muck around with changing permissions on the folder, but I suspect my procedure was off.

I appreciate the assist in any event.

Now my next step is to figure out how to upgrade to a RAID5 array with a hostspare...

jcanfield

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
Re: adding disk question
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 03:30:50 am »
Now my next step is to figure out how to upgrade to a RAID5 array with a hostspare...

In my experience, trying to implement RAID after that fact is not a fun task.  Combined with your desire to have a second partition for /home directories, I would recommend a ground up install with both in mind.  With hardy due out in a few short weeks...it might be perfect timing.  :)

Good luck,

Jim   
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius...and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction."  --  Albert Einstein