Author Topic: Zentyal 3.5 Roadmap announced (some modules moved to Contrib)  (Read 24770 times)

snoopy1337

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Zentyal 3.5 Roadmap announced (some modules moved to Contrib)
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2014, 06:20:25 pm »
1) Yes, Zarafa is dropped completely
2) No, as of 3.4 there is no option to choose Zarafa anymore.
Sad to hear that, as Zarafa - IMHO - is a very good and stable Groupware Solution, esp. in conjunction with z-push it works like a charm.

3) _Theoreticly_ OpenChange has more features than Zarafa and there is no extra license fee for outlook connectors since OpenChange natively supports the MAPI protocol.
As u said... theoreticaly... I took a look at OpenChange (WebMail) in Zentyal 3.5 and my first thought was: What a huge Back-Step!

4) We would love to see a documented migration path for Zarafa to OpenChange. I hope the devs in Zaragoza have the time to make a solid howto and/or migration script for this.
Thats annoying... this would be a big show stopper for many Zentyal Users in Upgrading / Migrating I think. I couldn't imagine that there are just a few users having Zarafa running in Zentyal. And if there is even no migration path...

IMO the biggest catch is that openchange just isn't stable yet. Although they are working very hard on OpenChange development, I really think it is too soon to drop Zarafa, but that's just my opinion.

I'm absolutely with u in saying that it is much too early to completely replace Zarafa with OpenChange; just installed/tested Zentyal 3.5 for a few minutes and came accross several Bugs (ActiveSync doesn't seem to work, IMAP Login with non-Outlook doesn't work) and created some tickets.

What about all those who don't need the Outlook/MAPI stuff but just a Groupware at all and use completely free software? I think, having the choose in using Zarafa or OpenChange should be the better way as Zarafa (esp. with Z-Push) in Zentyal worked just fine and stable for several years now.

So I think, 3.3 will be the last Zentyal I use and I will completely switch to another SBS Solution like ClearOS...
There the Zarafa Community Edition "App" costs 10$ but that could be good invested capital I hope. At a first glance, this System seems to be more stable at all...

StuartNaylor

« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 07:52:15 pm by StuartNaylor »

robb

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2014, 08:56:02 pm »
It is stated clearly that Zarafa has been dropped (in favor of OpenChange):
http://www.zentyal.org/roadmap/zentyal-3-5-roadmap/

I do hope, there will be an alternative for usercorner. It is quite convenient to let users be able to change their password themselves.

StuartNaylor

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2014, 11:33:05 pm »
Exactly my point to why? Openchange isn't stable like you admit.

IMO the biggest catch is that openchange just isn't stable yet. Although they are working very hard on OpenChange development, I really think it is too soon to drop Zarafa, but that's just my opinion.

3.4 being a non LTS release meant no Zarafa.

I am questioning the drop in 3.5 as unlike 3.4 there is a 14.04 version available.

We have the standard mail services and roundcube (Doesnt really provide enough for many of us), but like I say I dunno if the community is prepared for another Beta session for 3 years.

Just an opinion.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 12:13:10 am by StuartNaylor »

half_life

• Bug Hunter
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2014, 07:19:32 pm »
For me, dropping Zarafa means that I will not be updating beyond 3.3 until such time as the Openchange server is up to snuff.  Thankfully I no longer am supporting Zentyal in a commercial environment because the clock would be ticking to work out an upgrade path.  At least with Zarafa you could disable password checking and use imapcopy to transfer between servers. 

I am worried that the many installs out there with large email user bases will abandon Zentyal to avoid having to continually struggle with this. Remember, it wasn't so long ago that we had to re-install because there was no upgrade path.  Many struggled to port their email over.

StuartNaylor

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2014, 10:10:14 pm »
Half_Life I am going to give the Zarafa install a go and write up a community howto.

I guess I will have to get my head round the samba-authentications modes with Zarafa.

I am sure when it comes to a choice of Zarafa or Openchange then it will install. I will give it a go anyway.

I understand that both will not sit happily together because of dependencies but that is no problem as why would I need both?

Prob make some scripts that make this really easy.

I really don't want to have to go through the learning curve or the effort of maintaining a Zarafa Zentyal package.

It would make things so easy if Zentyal was customisable just give us a menu editor and form editor.

I say this as having to manage and install packages just to install something on zentyal is just a crazy amount of overhead for what is needed.

I will start a new thread Zarafa & Zentyal 3.5 any input will be most welcome.