Author Topic: Installing Zentyal in Ubuntu 12.04  (Read 2136 times)

kral

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Installing Zentyal in Ubuntu 12.04
« on: February 26, 2013, 01:02:52 pm »
Hello,

I have a costumer with a ubuntu server 12.04 and his company needs a mail server, and i would like to install Zentyal on it.

He allready have the ubuntu server for web-sites with php and mysql.

I have some doubt's regarding the zentyal installation.

1- Will the instalation of Zentyal change any configuration that the ubuntu allready have?
2- Zentyal gonna become a service on the ubuntu installation, correct?
3- I's just simple as this:
    sudo apt-get install -y python-software-properties
    sudo apt-add-repository ppa:zentyal/3.0
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install -y zentyal

sudo apt-get install zentyal-<modulename>

Regards,

Sam Graf

Re: Installing Zentyal in Ubuntu 12.04
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 03:43:53 pm »
If I'm following you correctly, no, Zentyal won't become a service on a running Ubuntu server. Zentyal is a management and integration product for Ubuntu Server, so Zentyal is "in charge" of all services it manages and integrates, not Ubuntu Server.

That leaves open the possibility that Zentyal could change the configuration of an already running service. Off the top of my head I don't know for a fact that it will change the configuration of an existing service if you add only the mail server through Zentyal. But I am a cautious sort of person and would want to test it out thoroughly before committing the idea on a production machine. In other words, it's not a typical use of Zentyal to use it in the way you're describing, if I'm understanding correctly.

kral

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 03:51:16 pm »
Hi Sam!

Tks for you answer!

It's as i thought, Zentyal will be in charge as you say =)

My "problem" is that the costumer has a website in that server and i'm afraid that installing zentyal the website goes down.

If i backup the /var/www/"website" and after the zentyal install paste it would it work?

PS. Sorry for my rusty english

Regards

Sam Graf

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 06:36:14 pm »
Your English is fine. :)

That would protect the site but I'm equally concerned about what Zentyal might do with the configuration of running services where Zentyal might overlap with them. Again, I can't say for sure that any harm would come, partly because I haven't used Zentyal as a mail server since eBox days; I don't even know off the top of my head what Zentyal module depedencies there are for the mail server.

However, if Zentyal brought the existing server down it could be a mess to fix. So I'm going to say again that if it were me, I would test the idea before trying it on a production machine. That's just what I would do. If the current Ubuntu server is only a web server with MySQL in the back end, it would be easier for me to set up a test than recover from a disaster. :-[