Author Topic: Can This be done?  (Read 1351 times)

quartzeye

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Can This be done?
« on: April 03, 2014, 11:52:28 pm »
I have been using Zentyal for a while now and I have it running on it's own hardware.  If you hang with me a minute, I would like to explain what I want to do.

First Zentyal is running on its own hardware with 4 NICs.  I use it as a firewall, router, VPN server, and I use the apache install to redirect web traffic to a handfull of web servers.

I also have a 20TB NFS server that is connected to a Dell C6100 cloud server.  This is running diskless and is attached to the NFS server over 8 20GB infiniband ports.

Everything runs just fine but the NFS and Zentyal hardware is getting old.  I purchased a 24 bay raid server that I want to repurpose to replace both the NFS and Zentyal servers.

My questions are as follows.

First, Ubuntu supports Infiniband, if I get the OS to properly recognize the Infinband adapters, will Zentyal see then correctly and allow me to set up point to point connections to the ports on the C6100.  These are static right now don't plan to change them.

Second, can I set Zentyal to be a NFS server so that the raid arrays can be shared across all my adapters?  I mainly want to use the Inifinband adapters for the back end data movement and diskless booting of VM's on the C6100.

I have one 4 port adapter that supports vlans and this is that adapter that the web traffic goes through.

BrunovonTroba

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
Re: Can This be done?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 10:11:15 pm »
In my case it works fine (however on much cmaller hardware).
The only thing is to setup NFS manually in UBUNTU and setup zentyal firewall ports to allow NFS to work. And, of course, don't let Zentyal samba to manage in any way files used by NFS