Author Topic: Domain Controller DNS Issue  (Read 1937 times)

nontrivial

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
Domain Controller DNS Issue
« on: January 27, 2014, 03:02:18 am »
I have a Zentyal 3.2 primary domain controller (ie server1) with a public and a private IP address (192.168.1.1), and I have a Zentyal 3.2 additional domain controller (ie server2) with a different public IP address but the same private IP address (192.168.1.1) at a different physical location. They are firewalled and communicate via the public internet. When logged into server 2, it always returns the correct IP addresses, but for any DHCP client after some amount of time after rebooting server2 or restarting it's dns server, it starts serving the clients dns values from server1. This is fatal because when a client wants to talk to server1 (the PDC) it gets handed an IP of 192.168.1.1 instead of it's public IP address as it should. Also, if a client wants to talk to server2 (the ADA), it gets handed the correct public address.

So my current workaround is a cron job that restarts the DNS server every thirty minutes, which isn't a great work around. Unfortunately I can't really try random things during business hours, so I am hoping somebody can shed some light on what the problem is. The existing samba documentation (http://trac.zentyal.org/wiki/Documentation/Community/Document/SambaScenario) is a bit out of date because you can no longer edit the network DNS settings if the DNS module is installed.

The next few things I am going to try are listed below, and I was also hoping to get some feedback as to whether or not anybody think they will have any effect.

* Toggling "Transparent DNS Cache" on and off.
 * Adding 127.0.0.1 to the list of forwarders.
 * Designating the public IP of server2 for DHCP client DNS and WINS.

Another thing is that every few minutes in the server2 (ADA) log, I get:
  SysvolSync.pm:175 EBox::Samba::SysvolSync::sync - Synchronizing sysvol share from server1
  SysvolSync.pm:187 EBox::Samba::SysvolSync::sync - child exited with value 255

If anybody could offer some advice on that, it would be greatly appreciated as well.

TIA,
James

peter.somlo

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Domain Controller DNS Issue
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 04:57:55 pm »
I had the same sysvol issue:
Code: [Select]
SysvolSync.pm:187 EBox::Samba::SysvolSync::sync - child exited with value 255
The additional domain controller was unable to synchronize the shared sysvol directory. In my case, it was a problem with permissions. Some combination of the following commands might help:

Code: [Select]
sudo net rpc share migrate files sysvol -k --destination=additionalDC.MYDOMAIN.lan -S primaryDC.MYDOMAIN.lan --acls -U "MYDOMAIN\\admin"
sudo samba-tool ntacl sysvolcheck
sudo samba-tool ntacl sysvolreset
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 05:16:35 pm by peter.somlo »