Author Topic: Zentyal 3.4 Community Edition Is Out!  (Read 3732 times)

rawa

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
Zentyal 3.4 Community Edition Is Out!
« on: March 25, 2014, 06:32:55 pm »
Zentyal 3.4 Community Edition Is Out!

Hello

This is the title of a published Zentyal we came ...

From what I understand the 3.4 version will not upgrade to the community ?

Or there will be more versions of community?

Zentyal becomes permanently closed a commercial product ?

Zentyal does not share the vision of communities that give rise to their used modules, based on free software?

Zentyal aims to be the new Windows Server and compete with Microsoft ?

Zentyal think your target market is business owners and managers no servers and networks within companies ?

Really catches my attention as Zentyal is transforming the business side , for my out of free software and the support from the community can achieve.

What's going on Zentyal about free software and community?

Note: If this is so in my case I no longer will recommend Zentyal SMEs , because it will be a problem in the future , as the vision of Zentyal is changing, and between recommending an operating system for SME unknown and recommend a Windows Server will make it easier and less trouble if we recommend Windows Server.

Thanks, perhaps the only one who sees this but I would like to share with the forum.

Ruben Arno

Hola

Este es el titulo de un aviso de Zentyal que nos llego ...

Por lo que entiendo la versión 3.4 no sera para la versión de la comunidad ?

O no habrá mas versiones de comunidad ?

Zentyal se convierte en un producto comercial cerrado definitivamente ?

Zentyal no comparte la visión de comunidades que le dan origen a sus módulos usados, basados en software libre ?

Zentyal pretende ser el nuevo Windows Server y competir con Microsoft ?

Zentyal cree que su mercado objeto son dueños de empresa y no administradores de servidores y redes dentro de las empresas ?

La verdad me llama la atención como Zentyal se esta transformando en la parte comercial, para mi alejado del software libre y del apoyo que desde la comunidad puede lograr.

Que esta pasando en Zentyal con respecto al software libre y la comunidad ?

Nota: si esto es así creo que en mi caso ya no recomendare Zentyal a las Pymes, porque sera un problema en un futuro, ya que la vision de Zentyal esta cambiando, y entre recomendar un sistema operativo para pyme desconocido y recomendar un Windows Server, sera mas fácil y tendremos menos problemas si recomendamos Windows Server.

Gracias, tal vez sea el único que ve esto pero me gustaría compartirlo con el foro.

Ruben Arno

jbahillo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Zentyal 3.4 Community Edition Is Out!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 07:53:27 pm »
Hello Rubem:

I think you are missing the whole point.

Zentyal 3.4 is out (= is published) and it is a Community Edition. So I do not understand the problem here. For sure there will be more versions for community (next one will be 3.5, next one 4.0...) I think you should heck http://www.zentyal.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/ZentyalReleaseStrategy.png to get a clear view of the Zentyal Release policy.

Being this said, Zentyal does not intend to be the new Windows Server , but to be a drop-in replacement for it. We are nevertheless opensource, as long as source code is accessible to anyone who want to see it (or to contribute to it- contributions are always welcome)

Cheers

StuartNaylor

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 08:12:44 pm »
Its not exactly true as Zentyal does ship binaries and I have no idea if they are just recompiled or are different from the originals and they are not on git hub or anywhere I know?
If I am wrong please correct me.

Also saying we are open source be cause our code is on github is slightly a null point when it comes to text web scripts which are always open by nature.
Also "Access to advanced documentation" is via a registration process and that is quite unusual for an OpenSource product.

Zentyal just configures some free opensource software and presents them as a whole in a web framework.
Zentyal's presentation and manner of operation is quite different from that source.
I guess opensource is a wide ranging term and if used loosely then Zentyal is open source.

I think there are many blurry lines with Zentyal that confuse opensource users so I can understand the point to some degree.

A product that is close is webmin.
Webmin is a web-based interface for system administration for Unix. Using any modern web browser, you can setup user accounts, Apache, DNS, file sharing and much more. Webmin removes the need to manually edit Unix configuration files like /etc/passwd, and lets you manage a system from the console or remotely

Its very blurry really as you can call it a "Zentyal Server" as 99% of the code is by others.
I guess it just makes it easy for the noob and non technical non linux person as a linux based ubuntu server comprising of a range of "Best of" open source enterprise applications under a singular web administration console is a little long winded.

I like the idea of the product but sometimes the marketing comes very close to crossing some lines.
Again I guess its all down to opinion.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 08:30:11 pm by StuartNaylor »

jbahillo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 08:29:41 pm »
Hello Stuart:

All patched binaries have their patches on github, see for instance https://github.com/Zentyal/zentyal/tree/3.0/extra/samba4/debian/patches.

Nevertheless Open Source means just that: that code used to get that product working is  freely accesible to everybody. To make sure you understand what we are speaking about, let me paste from gnu.org:

Free software is a matter of the users' freedom to run, copy, distribute, study, change and improve the software. More precisely, it refers to four kinds of freedom, for the users of the software:

The freedom to run the program, for any purpose (freedom 0).
    The freedom to study how the program works, and adapt it to your needs (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
    The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor (freedom 2).
    The freedom to improve the program, and release your improvements to the public, so that the whole community benefits (freedom 3). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.

With Zentyal you can run the program for any purpose
You can study how it works and adapt it as long as you have access to source code. Obviously you need to know something about Perl, but the possibility is just there.
You can redistribute copies to anybody
You are welcome to contribute to Zentyal code

Thus, Zentyal is an Open source product.

StuartNaylor

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 08:36:04 pm »
Apols its in the extra repo. I looked before for samba and didn't find, honest mistake.

Its just opinion and I think you know the open source community is varied. I think when it comes to my opinion and Zentyal we are just at different parts of the opensource spectrum.

I have stated it before that it would be great to uplink to some of the truly great packages employed.
Thing is there is no legality or dictate but for me its something I believe in.

jbahillo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 08:39:37 pm »
Well I won't add anything else to this. I thing that I have exposed all that I needed to. The broader views you have DO NOT refer to open sourcing, but to different ways on which a community is build, and that is not  something I'm going to discuss about.

Open Source is what what have been speaking about, guess that you do not consider your self cleverer that Stallman, do you?

Period

StuartNaylor

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 08:50:34 pm »
I was just saying there are many varied views of what open source is thats all.

You don't need to get upset or angry about things. As how you run your project is up to you.
It just free discussion and I was just trying to state that opinions vary.

I can see how some might see Zentyal not being conventional that's all and its just an opinion.

I will leave you to your period :) I know I am passionate and opinionated, not sure if I am clever.
Still trying to work out if stallman is clever or just a nutter :)

The open source movement has a basic tenement of code being open and I believe there is more to the argument.
I think Stallman and others also believe so.

But of late to much has been said. It should of just been called "Open" but I guess that wouldn't of made much sense.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 09:13:54 pm by StuartNaylor »

ferthelet

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 02:48:52 pm »
Hi,

is there any way to upgrade from 3.2 or I will have to start a new installation?
--
Fer

StuartNaylor

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 12:19:55 am »
I am not a fan of upgrades and usually do a clean install.

Reading the forum I think a few people have run foul because they have upgraded to 3.4 without doing a dist-upgrade first.

I haven't tried it so if it doesn't then it will be a clean install.

At a guess first upgrade Zentyal to 3.3 which was on 12.04.

Then upgrade Ubunutu with a dist-upgrade to 13.10

Then do a Zentyal upgrade to 3.4.

Post your results as I guess a few might want to know.

Biggest problem is that zarafa and openchange clash. So Zarafa would have to be uninstalled.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 12:27:28 am by StuartNaylor »

half_life

• Bug Hunter
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 10:25:16 am »
I have had mixed luck with upgrades in place.  I have taken to the habit of just doing a clean install and migrating my email over.  I run Zentyal in a virtualization environment so it is pretty straightforward to do for me.  If you are using dedicated hardware YMMV.

half_life

• Bug Hunter
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 10:28:02 am »
If you do decide to upgrade in place, don't forget to create a backup that you can quickly lay back down in case things go badly.  I recommend using something like http://redobackup.org/ and an external drive rather than the multi step process involved in using Zentyal's internal tools.