Author Topic: community vs commercial version  (Read 23556 times)

StuartNaylor

Re: community vs commercial version
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 02:28:19 pm »
Totally agree with you,

30 days for something as complex as a server, also after 30 days can you really say after that time it is business stable?

https://forum.zentyal.org/index.php/topic,20886.msg80142.html#msg80142

There have been many idea's and I think zentyal should have a trial extension period where for a couple of quid (whatever price is deemed correct) you can make it six months without support.

Its very much about alternative revenues like in the post.

I used to get all the M$ stuff under my Technet & MSDN subscriptions but often would run unlicensed whilst evaluating. It one of the reasons I like open source. Supposed instant access and I can evaluate at my leisure and dictate.   

robb

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2014, 03:33:45 pm »
IMO the fact it is impossible to change from community to commercial version and vice versa makes Zentyal a possible vendor lock-in. Exactly the reason why all those closed source solutions are a big no-no.
Sure you can do a backup/restore from commercial to community or community to commercial. It sure is not user friendly and shouldn't be necessary to do so.

StuartNaylor

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2014, 03:57:10 pm »
"possible vendor lock-in" never thought of that, very good point Robb.

I think I will leave the whole offering part of subscriptions and professonal versions.
Like in the post I don't think standard models apply very well to opensource in general.

I am not sure what the answer is, so I will just continue as normal :)

« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 04:01:29 pm by StuartNaylor »