Author Topic: Goodbye Christian  (Read 8388 times)

StuartNaylor

Re: Goodbye Christian
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 11:51:36 pm »
My opinion is 100% agreement.

Community Nachico. Team of shit hot talented developers. Superb product. Pants community forum.

Invest some time and effort into the community platform and take a chance on the results.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 12:10:22 am by StuartNaylor »

N. Balauro

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2014, 02:01:05 am »
Even better... Allow the community to be the centerstage of design for this refined  "platform". Dev staff members aswell as community members could contribute as much, or little, as they want to this redesign -in open community fashion. Let community contributions develop this platform (much of this is happening already to some extent), but allow "Zentyal" to be the editor in chief and endorse the design. This is the perfect project to reap the benefits of, and exemplify, "OpenSource" in its purest.

A side note about M$ drop in intentions... The subversive intentions of "Zentyal" to de-monopolize M$ technologies are pure and very agreeable. However, by attempting to "Drop-In" for M$, "Zentyal" has thus far been embracing M$ desgin practices, logically inheriting its flaws aswell.  This, among fundamental contradictions such as designing via opensource for a non opensource consumer, are a major point of impedence both for the community and "Zentyal".

Who's to say one has to obey the law of "OpenSource"? No one. However, the most basic intention of being OpenSource is to have the same successful results of projects such as Linux - not to follow some OpenSource Religion.

Basically what we are saying here is this: We are a sample of the many excited about this thing called "Zentyal".  We want this project to be majorly successful. We think the motivation to demonopolize M$ via OpenSource is great, and highly agreeable! However, we do not think 'Zentyal' is integrating OpenSource to its fullest, thus detracting from the potential of this project. We do want to help though! Allow us first to help design a "Zentyal" driven platform, that will utilize the community to the fullest in achieving the ultimate goal of "Zentyal".
Zentyal 3.3.10 -- Xen 4.1 Hypervisor -- Intel Xeon 1245V3

CNServices

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2014, 01:04:44 pm »
However, the most basic intention of being OpenSource is to have the same successful results of projects such as Linux - not to follow some OpenSource Religion.

I think it was in the film Revolution OS that Linus Torvalds said something to the effect that he hoped people used open source software not because of some sort of idealism but because it was better software.

That point of view has consequences. It doesn't follow from the success of the Linux kernel that it serves as a blueprint for success. If that were true, things would be different. For instance, the premise of Revolution OS would have come true. In that film, released in 2001, Eric Raymond tells the delightful story of meeting a Microsoft executive in an elevator and telling him, "I'm your worst nightmare." But has that really been the case these years later?

Another consequence is that there can be a difference between open source source software and the best software for a given task. Characterizing people who use Access as sheep or whatever, just as an example, isn't useful.

Any efforts to paint the open source software movement as a monolithic achievement and point of view are also betrayed by Linus's observation. It's clear that central figures in the free and open source movements are not all on the same page (or there wouldn't be two movements). I think Richard Stallman prioritizes things differently from Bruce Perens. Even if not, compare the Zentyal and Trisquel communities to see the difference I'm talking about. Maybe I'm safer saying that Zentyal's CEO looks at things differently from Richard Stallman.

In any case, Zentyal both as a product and as a project inherits all that back story, for good or ill. Only chaos knows. Debian and Ubuntu are distinct because the back story matters, or at least is presumed to matter. So it's hard for me to imagine, much less know, what pure open source outcomes even look like.

StuartNaylor

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2014, 06:55:35 pm »
Well I have been thinking about it and the bazaar platform I am giving it a go.

Had to think of something I could do so its my old favorite Samba4.

Started last night so a little tired. Done my sourceforge thing first https://sourceforge.net/projects/samba4all/

The collaborative web site knowledge platform will be up after I have had some sleep.

Its more just to demonstrate how opensource in isolation of opensource is one of those islands of excellence but unfortunately an Island.

Its no religion to me, apart from I joke about our Lord Eric, Linus and the holy stallman. :)

Right bed...

N. Balauro

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2014, 08:12:18 pm »
@CNServices: I understand your perspective and it is valid. I would like to point out however, It appears my usage of "success" has been interpreted, as results of wealth only. The intended definition of "success" I was attempting to convey was more related to "the correct or desired result of an attempt", and achieving valuable non-wealth results, aswell.

@StuartNaylor: Im looking forward to seeing how you implement your ideas! Subscribed to updates.
Zentyal 3.3.10 -- Xen 4.1 Hypervisor -- Intel Xeon 1245V3

Marcus

• Forum Moderator
  • Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
    • Professional IT Service
Au revoir Christian
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2014, 04:12:04 pm »
Et à la prochaine

(possiblement sur un autre projet)

:)

Marcus