Author Topic: ldap passwords and master/slave  (Read 2539 times)

peterr

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
ldap passwords and master/slave
« on: November 02, 2009, 01:09:56 pm »
Can someone help me understand what is going as I am confused over how the passwords work with ldap?
I have successfully wrecked several servers already so I have had lots of experience now at installing ebox1.3!!
Until recently I had 3 ebox servers running with one master and 2 slaves - the slaves were linked using the password stored in /var/lib/ebox/conf/ebox-ldap.passwd not the ldap admin password entered during installation.
What are these two passwords, why are they different and when is one used rather than the other?  This bit really puzzles me - I am quite happy to use this one here and that one there but would like to know why (I know, curiosity killed the cat).

I was just trying to get a linux client to authenticate against the ldap master (worked ok with a windows client) but it did not work - big mistake, I ran dpkg-reconfigure slapd to find out if I was using the right dn.  I was but this killed the ldap!  I reinstalled ubuntu and ebox (never managed to clear out usersandgroups without a full reinstall of the server) and this time round my server asked about linking to a ldap server for authentication (never done that before). I ignored this and carried on and ended up with a working usersandgroups on my new master but now the slaves don't sync to it.  I looked in /var/lib/ebox/conf to see if the password was different to last time but I have no ebox-ldap.passwd this time.

I decided to try dpkg-reconfigure slapd again and see what happened - Yup it broke usersandgroups again! oops!

So, any idea how to replace a busted ldap master and get it to sync with 2 existing slaves?

ps (I am still smiling, I know this is only beta software)
pps (I guess I am going to know a lot about ebox installation by the time I finish)

peterr

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
Re: ldap passwords and master/slave
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 09:55:26 am »
I have tried reinstalling my master server.  This time I just installed ebox then afterwards installed usersandgroups and I was not asked about details of an ldap login.
I now have a running master but two unemployed slaves that won't accept their new master.
This time round I ended up with a file ebox-ldap.passwd containing the new master password (more than I did on the last install)
I found a file on the slave called /etc/ldap/slapd-replica.d/cn=config/olcDatabase={1}hdb.ldif that seems to contain the old master password - I really don't know what I am doing here but I edited this to contain the new password. (I restarted the server at this point - the slave)
I am obviously missing something else vital as still no sync and the master does not think it has any slaves yet

Just tried to deactivate the slave usersandgroups - save - reactivate it again - save
Still the master thinks it has not slaves.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 10:11:46 am by peterr »

Saturn2888

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 05:49:54 pm »
Seems we're both having a lot of master/slave issues. Have you tried upgrading to 1.4?

peterr

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 08:23:49 pm »
Yes, but the upgrade did not go well even with the help of the doc detailing how to do it (forget where it is) so I reinstalled from scratch.
Master slave seems to be working fine but some other bits are not (e.g samba) and I have yet to test the PDC or linux authentication (rather wanted ot get samba going first)

Saturn2888

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 08:53:34 pm »
You don't need to do what the doc says unless you are upgrading from an early version of eBox 1.3. Either way, if you do apt-get purge slapd and reinstall users and groups, that gets you the 1.4 version fresh.

I fixed samba by doing apt-get purge samba then that deconfigure samba command I posted above. Then Samba was fixed. Go ahead and run that, then enable the module.

Saturn2888

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 02:16:49 pm »
Yes, but the upgrade did not go well even with the help of the doc detailing how to do it (forget where it is) so I reinstalled from scratch.
Master slave seems to be working fine but some other bits are not (e.g samba) and I have yet to test the PDC or linux authentication (rather wanted ot get samba going first)

What isn't working with Samba? Is it just not starting?