Author Topic: [Solved] latest nightly build incomplete or ... ?  (Read 1673 times)

SeaTea

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
[Solved] latest nightly build incomplete or ... ?
« on: March 16, 2014, 01:00:55 pm »
I am new to Zentyal, but using Ubuntu for many years and before that RedHat and SuSe.

As I am working on a new @home-server I think Zentyal is a good choice, so I am testing installation of 3.4.  As the official version is not yet available I am using the nighly builds. (I cannot use 3.3 as my hardware is not compatible with the older ubuntu version used in 3.3).

Now my question:
When I use the nightly builds (tested versions of 14 and 15 march), the installation seems to work fine, but the graphical user interface is not shown after the last reboot. Also the Zentyal software seems not to be installed.  However I can install manually from the APT repository as described on the Daily Build part of the Wiki.  But there is written that using the .iso should install everything including a gui.

The same thing happens when I am installing 3.4 nightly in VMware.  When I install 3.3 in VMware it installs a gui and also Zentyal.

So is the current nightly without gui, or is it broken as it only seems to install Ubuntu ?

Maybe I have to be patient and wait until monday evening when the "official" 3.4 is available  ::)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 01:39:29 pm by SeaTea »

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://blogs.zentyal.org/jacalvo
Re: latest nightly build incomplete or ... ?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 01:48:19 pm »
The final 3.4 will be released tomorrow, so yes, I think it's worth to be patient ;) In fact I've disabled the automatic daily builds already...

Thanks for the feedback!
Zentyal Server Lead Developer

SeaTea

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: latest nightly build incomplete or ... ?
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 01:39:14 pm »
Just a follow-up for other readers who have the same problems and found this topic via google search.

I had the same problems with version 3.4 final too, so it was not a problem with the nightly builds.
After some investigation I found that there was nothing wrong with Zentyal distribution, but the problem happened because I tried to install from a bootable USB memory stick in combination with behaviour of my motherboard.

The PC booted normally from USB memorystick with Zentyal logo.  After selecting Zentyal installation from the first Zentyal screen, setup is trying to read from CD-ROM.  But it does not see the USB memory key as installation device and is looking for CD-ROM and my mini-PC does not have a CD-ROM.  Then the installation procedure is then searching on internet for installation and it is installing the default Ubuntu distribution instead of the Zentyal files from USB stick. So I ended up with a default Ubuntu 13.10 instead of Zentyal 3.4.

I have tried several bootable USBkey software, all with different results, but none of them was able to find USB key as CD/DVD and did not accept USB memory as installation media.  Actually the same happens when I installed Ubuntu 13.10 or 14.04-beta, but I never noticed this as it was installing from internet (I have 120Mbit internet, so not slow enough to notice that it was not installing from USB).  After some searching on google I found that this is a known issue with some motherboards.

The only thing I could do was to buy an external DVD drive and install Zentyal from there.  Then all installed normally  :)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 12:41:10 pm by SeaTea »

StuartNaylor

Re: [Solved] latest nightly build incomplete or ... ?
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 05:59:05 pm »
I am glad you said that as I ran into the same problem.

I got an external Samsung SE-218 as wanted to try it with Android devices.

I was never sure if it was me doing something dumb or the machine or the DVD.

I just had the external at the time and when it worked, shrugged and continued.

It was with Ubuntu I remember that I as always used to install ubuntu first before there where options to run headless.