Author Topic: Share Drive problems  (Read 1496 times)

dread metro

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Share Drive problems
« on: July 26, 2013, 02:15:16 am »
Hello everybody,

I'm having several users complaining of problems saving to a network share. We're able to copy files directly from a machine into a folder on the share, but many applications (including any of the Microsoft Office suite) will not allow us to save to the share, stating that we do not have sufficient permissions. I noticed that a "Read Only" attribute was set on everything on the share. I reset the attributes to remove read only, but when I checked again, the read only attribute was set. I tried setting the share as public, giving our office users group administrative rights to the share, and attempted resetting the attributes again...

This problem, while not stopping us from functioning, is becoming quite annoying to work around.

Anyone got any ideas?

Lonniebiz

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
Re: Share Drive problems
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 01:08:58 pm »
It sounds like the process that's saving/downloading the files (running inside the applications you've mention) has different permissions than the user that is logged into the workstation. Maybe those applications are operating under a local machine account instead of using the user's LDAP account to do these things.

When I first installed Zentyal, similar things happened to me until I completely removed the user's quotas by making them zero instead of 500mb for each account. My approach was a bit extreme, and my advise may be totally unrelated to your exact issue, so I'd wait to see what other will say about this.

Here was my exact issue:
http://forum.zentyal.org/index.php?topic=15496.0
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 01:10:56 pm by Lonniebiz »

Zei

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 09:44:50 am »
Hello dread metro,

you can avoid that samba reset the ACL's of a share by using the unmanage_acl configuration key included in /etc/zentyal/samba.conf.

izaakrach

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 05:12:02 pm »
Zei,

I'm having a similar problem so I've activated the unmanage_acl feature.  I'm assuming that this unmanages all shares.  Should I set up all shares and acls the way I want and then turn on the unmanage_acl and then change the permissions via command line?  What will the permissions be set at for new files added to my public folder?  Will they still be able to be seen and changed by everyone?  I want the acls to work for the user folders and other folders like HR and accounting.  This is my first experience with samba 4 and I didn't see anywhere like in samba 3 where to put in createmask and foldermask.

Cheers

Zei

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 06:17:21 pm »
You are right, izaakrach.

You can set the right acls through Zentyal GUI > save changes (this will overwrite existing acls recursively) > set the unmanage_acl config key under /etc/zentyal/samba.conf > add the new permissions through the command line or using a Windows client.

Regards