Author Topic: Zentyal DNS TTL ?  (Read 1666 times)

zero1

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Zentyal DNS TTL ?
« on: March 08, 2014, 01:16:51 am »
Hi All,

I use Zentyal for "WAN" DNS.

I dont see TTL in configuration ?

Someone help me ?

Thank you !

PY

christian

Re: Zentyal DNS TTL ?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 05:30:56 am »
With this post plus the one about default NS, you are on trend that will generates hundreds of posts if there is one new for each point that is either not state of the art design or missing feature compared to what underlying component is able to provide.

You perhaps need to read more of this forum to understand a bit more of Zentyal philosophy.
Zentyal offers simplified GUI meaning all parameters are not exposed or available and some design choices are made by Zentyal on your behalf.
I've the feeling that you are testing Zentyal but you rather look for webmin or similar interface.

Of course I might be wrong  ;)

zero1

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 03:45:59 pm »
Hi,

This is what I see. I run webmin right now and I want a altenative.

But I see Zentyal have bind server but with the half of feature.

Still testing.

PY

christian

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 03:56:25 pm »
Even less than half but this is not the purpose.
You really can't compare Zentyal and webmin. Goal is totally different. If you are not happy with one, do not expect to replace it we the other but rather made your choice between controlled environment with few but consistent features or totally open environment with all features (almost) but no control.
I don't think there is any middle way and using both will definitely not offer best of bread  :-X

peterpugh

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 04:12:20 pm »
ClearOS, brrrrr!

I used to use it but switched to Zentyal. There are reasons for that but would be quite lengthy. Zentyal is definitely my choice.

Webmin I don't see as an alternative, it is a great complement to Zentyal. Zentyal can create complex server scenario's extremely quickly.

Webmin has some functionality that Zentyal does not. Also very good for a sysadmins system reference.

This results for this sysadmin as value to clients.

Webmin I have used but when it comes to assembling the working complexity of Zentyal the effort and time has been hard to justify.

It wouldn't be so bad if my clients didn't vary in terms of requirements or I would offer my own solutions but I consider that a form of entrapment as there is to much of me there for possible alternative support solutions.

I feel there is a webmin averse section to the Zentyal community which I don't subscribe to as webmin is to heavy on support requirements and hence possibly costly to my clients. On its own that is, but a great tool to reduce it.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 04:20:18 pm by peterpugh »