Author Topic: Scaled down installs  (Read 840 times)

Dnk

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Scaled down installs
« on: March 03, 2014, 04:42:51 am »
Hi there, I was just wondering if the server can be installed with individual rolls? Meaning can I install a server that is only an ad/file and print server? And  another one that is only the mail and communication server? Or is it required to install all rolls on one machine?

christian

Re: Scaled down installs
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 06:40:50 am »
Answer is quite simple in term of principles then I'll let you look at details to determine how this can be implemented:
- for services that rely on accounts, Zentyal is only able to use "local" repository (you can't have one single Zentyal managing accounts on which other Zentyal will connect, e.g. for authentication)
- you can synchronize multiple Zentyal servers, in term of account content, either using LDAP layer or Samba 4 layer but not both.
- this means that once you have deployed at least one single DC somewhere, if you need to deploy "file sharing" (AKA Samba) on all Zentyal servers that will need accounts.

Zentyal is initially designed as "all-in-one" box. This new (to come with 3.4) HA stuff seems to bring something slightly different but I'm totally lost with features is can really bring. Better wait for someone from Zentyal staff to provide you with more accurate answer regarding this  ;)