Author Topic: Zentyal 3.4 Openchange RPC Proxy message  (Read 11571 times)

jelleb

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Zentyal 3.4 Openchange RPC Proxy message
« on: March 01, 2014, 08:26:57 pm »
Hello,

Just installed the 3.4 daily build and it's working good sofar, i'm testing the Openchange functionality and get the message: "Cannot use RPC Proxy because we cannot find this host name: Cannot find this host in DNS domain", the hostname is present in the dns, i tried adding 127.0.0.1 with the hostname to the dns but that does not seem to have the right effect.

The openchange webmail is working ok and i can send mail and add contacts etc.

Will the RPC Proxy make it possible to use mobile phones with the exchange client to connect to openchange?

Is there something in the settings i have to change to get rid of the RPC Proxy message?

Thanks in advance
Jelle

wkw911

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Zentyal 3.4 Openchange RPC Proxy message
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 03:11:58 pm »
I got the same message, cannot use outlook anywhere if you can't get off this message. anyone can give some advise ?

peterpugh

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 03:30:23 pm »
At the weekend I ran up the daily 3.4 version.

So I had more or less the latest ISO and all the new module updates and Ubuntu security patches.

I am not saying the error doesn't exist for some but would you kindly provide modules versions.

Apart from really needing to change that test email.

I managed to join the domain with a client and outlook connects no problem at all.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 03:48:10 pm by peterpugh »

wkw911

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 03:47:08 pm »
OpenChange Server   3.4~135   
OpenChange Web Mail   3.4~130

peterpugh

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 03:50:14 pm »
Don't know as your updates are more recent than mine but as you will see I am working with no probs?

I just updated to your current version.

I know its a dumb question but you have a client logged onto the domain with a current user?

Guess there is the other thing of what version of outlook are you using 2010 here.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 04:07:02 pm by peterpugh »

jelleb

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 10:43:35 pm »
I can connect with outlook just fine if i'm in the local lan, outlook anywhere will give you the ability to connect from outside the local lan to your server by using https through the RPC proxy.
I guess we will have to wait for active sync support for the mobile clients as they seem to use active sync through the RPC Proxy.

Can you connect from outside your local lan with outlook?
Do you see the RPC Proxy message?

Would be nice to see this resolved one way or the other.

Jelle

Torsten73

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 01:01:46 am »
You mean this message in openchange. I also have it since i test 3.4.
i am not really sure if my name i choose for openchange is ok. what should we use there? dantor.de dantor.local or only dantor? Whats correct?
--------------------------------------------------------------
Zentyal 3.5 (offline) unter Ubuntu12.04.3 YAVDR 0.5 als KVM Host
Action Pack Abo with a running Exc. 2013 :-)

peterpugh

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 01:10:39 am »
Have no idea what that message means.

As I got that myself.

Thought you lie I know its there and there is a mail domain.

I ignored it.

blaxter

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 10:36:47 am »
That message is to be able to enable outlook anywhere (so you can connect to openchange outside your internal network).

Check you have on dns module something like this (see attachments).

Basically you need:
  • To have the outgoing mail domain defined in your dns module
  • To have a hostname defined on that domain
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 11:20:46 am by blaxter »

peterpugh

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 12:34:53 pm »
Well to be honest blaxter I am not sure.

I have Openchange / SOGo and outlook working. It wouldn't work if there wasn't the DNS entries as my dns entries where created when applying the virtual mail domain and virtual domain.

So basically I have what you say but still the error. As I say I ignored it. Also I ignored it as quite frankly Http RPC doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Its a legacy thing which is definately pre HTML5

Would anyone check there DNS hostname. For some reason I have two hostnames. I set myself up as zent1.zentyal.lan for the test. My DNS hostname has two entries.
zent1 with two ip's (internal and external) I have absolutely no idea why Zentyal creates a DNS entry on my external IP.
Anyway also I have zentyal.lan ? dunno and it has no IP set.

Must be when I added a virtual domain. In fact I wish when you add a virtual domain it wouldn't add DNS entries. Because of .co.uk rather than a .com tld the virtual domain dns entries get screwed everytime you add them. It actually makes it harder as you have to work out which entries and fix them.

domains can not be two characters long. when they are two characters they are a tld. You can tell that it irritates me that Zentyal thinks domain.co.uk is in a hostname.domain.tld format. :)

« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 12:50:52 pm by peterpugh »

Torsten73

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 02:43:13 pm »
That message is to be able to enable outlook anywhere (so you can connect to openchange outside your internal network).

Check you have on dns module something like this (see attachments).

Basically you need:
  • To have the outgoing mail domain defined in your dns module
  • To have a hostname defined on that domain
There is a difference in our settings. I have in virtual domains not only example.lan , i also have for outgoing mails example.de defined and my outgoing mail domain is example.de not like in your example it should be example.lan.

If i understood it correctly, i need to put in there my external domain name example.de, because otherwise i cant send mails external, just only internal. Am i wrong?

The rest of me is similar to yours.

edit: not really, i see you didn´t change the organisation name of openchange "first organisation" whereas i have "example"
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 02:50:16 pm by Torsten73 »

blaxter

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 04:13:56 pm »
@Torsten73

I see in a previous screenshot you have dantor.de as outgoing mail, so afaik you need to handle that domain in zentyal dns module and to have one host on that domain with an external ip. Then clients (outside your internal network) should be able to use that domain name (something.dantor.de) to connect through https (or http) to openchange.

For testing purposes you can fake the domain in windows editing c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Btw, after doing this you have to open the port on the firewall.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 04:20:06 pm by blaxter »

peterpugh

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 07:28:22 pm »
I think everybody gets a little worried by mail for no reason really.

Basically and I think this is true though have never tried. As long as you have an external DNS and MX record set you don't need anything else.
This just points to an external IP that is hopefully static over time. If your mail server is a single DNS then you don't even need an MX.

You don't even have to go near the internal DNS module. Here is a screen shot of my providers DNS control panel.

Also they have quite a good simple guide which I included, I should be a reseller!

I know its not exactly correct to say you don't need internal DNS, but for simplicity its relatively true. Internal DNS sets up DNS for internal domain structures.
Externally you need to set the DNS with the domain name registrar.

I don't get the current Bind9 implementation as I am never going to open it up externally as its a huge security hole.
I have never done anything more than added a domain name and host name with corresponding internal and external IP's.

I am sort of confused as to why with the rest of the functionality and just feel it adds confusion than anything really useful.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 07:30:07 pm by peterpugh »

Torsten73

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2014, 07:58:09 pm »
i think i don´t understand enough from it.  :-[

I don´t want to modify my external mx record. i want to send mails over my provider, wich is normally the securest way and is working. So in this case i will ever get the rpc proxy error, because it only works when using my zentyal ans an mta and send mails directly?

kockopes

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 09:51:23 pm »
I got the same message, cannot use outlook anywhere if you can't get off this message. anyone can give some advise ?

same issue, it is not clear what hostname is missing, in my configuration is same outgoing domain, same somain in dns settings, host is present, mx set, no idea how to get RPC proxy to work