Author Topic: static IP and vlan on the same eth interface  (Read 2555 times)

taphy

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
static IP and vlan on the same eth interface
« on: August 09, 2010, 06:06:45 am »
Hi all,
I have question regarding network configuration.
Is it possible at all on ebox configure via GUI  eth interface with static IP and  create vlans on its base at the same time? (it is quite usual stuff and I use it a lot on any other *nix distributions, but was not able find how to do that via GUI on ebox)

thanks in advance
taphy

crazybaldhead

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: static IP and vlan on the same eth interface
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 09:54:02 am »
This question was asked almost 3 years ago today and still, nobody has responded. It is a valid question.

In my situation, I have Zentyal connected to a bridge that does content filtering. The vlan tags can pass through it, but I have absolutely no control over the switches or switch configuration. What I've been given is a a network where some clients are separated onto vlan20, which comes into zentyal with the tag, and everything else runs on vlan10, but it's all untagged.

That means, if I setup the internal interface (eth0) to be a trunk, I can send/recv traffic on Vlan20, by adding that vlan interface, but because I can't set a static ip on the eth0 (since it's in trunk mode), I can't access the traffic on the untagged vlan.

I tried adding the vlan interface manually, but even though I could ping it, it didn't show up in the Zentyal interface for me to enable DHCP etc. Editing config files directly, I know I can achieve this by setting up /etc/network/interfaces like below, so I figure we can trick Zentyal into allowing it, but I haven't figured out yet where to look.

Does anyone have a suggestion (outside of modifying switch port config)?

example /etc/network/interfaces that does what I want

Code: [Select]
auto eth0.20 eth0
allow-hotplug eth1

iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.0.254
netmask 255.255.254.0
broadcast 192.168.1.255

iface eth0.20 inet static
vlan_raw_device eth0
address 192.168.3.254
netmask 255.255.255.0
broadcast 192.168.3.255

iface eth1 inet static
address 88.88.88.89
netmask 255.255.255.248
broadcast 88.88.88.95
gateway 88.88.88.94

ThiagoCMC

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 11:48:21 pm »
Hello!

Same situation here.

My eth1 needs to have an IP (VLAN 10 untagged), and I need to use at the same time on the same interface, a tagged VLAN (20). This is so basic that I don't understand why Zentyal doesn't support it... Any clue?!

I'm wondering why no one from Zentyal talks, even years latter?! Is this project abandoned or what?!

Tks!
Thiago

ThiagoCMC

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 11:51:57 pm »
Under "Network Interfaces", Zentyal must provide a new option for "Method", which will be:

"Static + Trunk (802.1q)"

Please Zentyal, do this ASAP!