Author Topic: The cluster has not any resources defined.  (Read 5062 times)

illunis

The cluster has not any resources defined.
« on: February 26, 2014, 01:14:57 pm »
Hi there
i am also beta testing the 3.4 Zentyal and specifically the HA module.
I have setup a cluster and everything seems to be replicating fine (judging from the logs) but i am trying to understand what is the "The cluster has not any resources defined." message and how can i define resources.

Thanks again
iLLUNiS

illunis

Re: The cluster has not any resources defined.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 01:43:52 pm »
UPDATE

I have defined a Floating IP address for the cluster and this has added this action as a "resource"

Are there any other actions that can be registered at the cluster as resources and therefore be managed bu the cluster?

christian

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 01:46:17 pm »
just curious (not helping as for the time being I didn't reach yet this stage):
how did you create floating IPs on various sides of Zentyal server ?
I mean where do you define that one floating IP is external and one or more are internal or for DMZ ?

On my up-to-date Zentyal 3.4 platform, although I've defined only one single node, everything is "OK", on-line cluster started on my (single) server with one resource that is my unique floating IP.

In pacemaker terminology, floating IPs are resources, correctly reflected by Zentyal.
If you add more floating IPs, you will see more resources  ;)

EDIT: you were posting while I was typing, so my post is almost meaningless  ;)
Still I don't understand how this is managed.

illunis

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 01:54:20 pm »
Hi Christian
at the screenshot i am attaching u can see that i have setup the cluster ip to be 172.16.10.230 (i am connected at this IP with my browser) and the cluster servers are using 172.16.2.243 / 246

Still trying to find other "resources" :)

christian

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 02:06:20 pm »
indeed and now (this was not shown 2 days ago if I remember well), floating IPs are shown attached to interface that is in the same - network - range  ;D

Funny enough, there is no control while adding floating IP but if you add one with IP that is not covered by existing interface, then this one is shown as "error" in the cluster status tab.

illunis

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 02:09:34 pm »
indeed and now (this was not shown 2 days ago if I remember well), floating IPs are shown attached to interface that is in the same - network - range  ;D
Yes indeed !....and also tried promoting the other server and changed "on the fly" Seems to be working very well (if only i can find what other resources exist...:P)

Funny enough, there is no control while adding floating IP but if you add one with IP that is not covered by existing interface, then this one is shown as "error" in the cluster status tab.

Havent tried that !

christian

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 02:14:20 pm »
so far so good, so it works... well at least on your system. On mine, I still can't enable DNS module  :(

Discussing about DNS: did you notice that Zentyal is automatically adding on your behalf entries in DNS for all your physical interfaces but none for floating IPs which are the ones to be used at the end...

illunis

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 02:28:04 pm »
so far so good, so it works... well at least on your system. On mine, I still can't enable DNS module  :(
I have set up a domain and the DNS worked straight away

Discussing about DNS: did you notice that Zentyal is automatically adding on your behalf entries in DNS for all your physical interfaces but none for floating IPs which are the ones to be used at the end...

No i havent noticed that !...Could this be the reason that i cannot join a computer at the domain with the cluster IP?....dunno

illunis

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 02:37:51 pm »
Further testing shows that there is a problem with the domain.

Active directory "sees" two domain controllers but i can only communicate with the primary. The secondary is always unavailable even after machine restart.

maybe i should open new thread about it?..or move it?....

christian

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 02:44:12 pm »

Domain ? what kind of domain ? DNS domain, Windows domain ?

My issue so far is (was ? I still don't know but need to test) that trying to enable DNS service locked my server, HTTP 504 error and no capability to restart Zentyal or get back access.

Moving to Windows (Samba in fact) domain: have a look at DNS content (dig) because floating IP may indeed be missing.

illunis

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 02:47:38 pm »

Domain ? what kind of domain ? DNS domain, Windows domain ?

My issue so far is (was ? I still don't know but need to test) that trying to enable DNS service locked my server, HTTP 504 error and no capability to restart Zentyal or get back access.

Moving to Windows (Samba in fact) domain: have a look at DNS content (dig) because floating IP may indeed be missing.

I have created a Windows (SAMBA) domain so i havent faced the problem ur describing.
The floating IP is definetely not registered at the any of the DNS....i ll try to manually create a registration for it for BOTH the controllers and see what happens

christian

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 02:51:07 pm »
Sure, let us now.
Still I'm confused about your wording. To me, registering IP and (hot or C) name is a matter of DNS, not matter of Windows stuff  ???
Then DNS must have the right content in order for user to access services like Samba but this is the next step.
Well.... in my understanding  ;)

illunis

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 02:52:10 pm »
NOPE....there is DEFINITELY a problem with the domain. There is NO replication between the two controllers. I tried manually and still nothing.

I have a suspision that the HA module is causing the "problem". I have two controllers (primary & secondary) on the same cluster and now that i think of it, it seems rather wrong :P

illunis

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2014, 02:54:19 pm »
Sure, let us now.
Still I'm confused about your wording. To me, registering IP and (hot or C) name is a matter of DNS, not matter of Windows stuff  ???
Then DNS must have the right content in order for user to access services like Samba but this is the next step.
Well.... in my understanding  ;)

What i meant is that since i created the windows domain, this took care of the DNS entries also...but like i said in my post above i must have made a mistake combining everything in the same cluster.

christian

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2014, 03:00:48 pm »
OK, on the DNS side, we have definitely slightly different view, mainly because you look only as the windows side that is, thanks to DLZ, pushing some entries to DNS. It doesn't matter that much.

Another interesting point that you raise is the cluster type: you make the assumption that this is an active/active cluster (again, looking only as the "Windows like" stuff while I was rather thinking that such cluster must be active/passive.
Let's start discussing this  ;)