Author Topic: Step by Step Guide to configure VPN on Zentyal  (Read 3191 times)

eplejuz

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Step by Step Guide to configure VPN on Zentyal
« on: August 07, 2012, 05:25:28 pm »
Hi all,

I've been reading and trying to configure VPN using this Zentyal guide http://doc.zentyal.org/en/vpn.html
But i'm not able to configure OpenVPN properly.
Can someone advise on a step by step guide on how to configure VPN? (Client connecting back to office)
Or point me to a guide which can help me?

Thanks!

christian

Re: Step by Step Guide to configure VPN on Zentyal
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 05:35:17 pm »
Following documentation should lead you to successful connection  ???
Rewriting another documentation might not help.
Are you facing any error message?
Did you check VPN server status (Zentyal server side)?

strider_d

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 07:15:44 am »
Hi I am also facing a similar issue. Just cannot seem to get VPN to work. Error 807: Connection interrupted

I looked at 2 versions of the step by step guide, one by Zentyal and one by techrepublic. It seems that we need to create a certification authority for the server plus one for each of the users that need to access the vpn. So for 2 users there should be 3 certificates (including the server)?

I am stuck on the advertise networks step. I have read the link to the high level abstractions and got myself really confused. Is it the created Groups that use the server, or is it the internal IP address that the vpn user will log into?

when I get to the download of client bundles, and tick add openvpn install, and click download, nothing happens.   A few green bars, then a green done but firefox doesn't show any downloads.

I tried to manually download open vpn but still received the same error.

Any help is appreciated as I feel I am so close  :-\

strider_d

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 06:48:37 am »
Hello fellow stuck people, I thought I would respond and let you know that I got vpn up and running. :) 

I had about 4 guides open at the same time, but ultimately worked through the zentyal official version. I used the names pretty much as provided in the guide for the user (myvpnuser), and server (vpnserver).  Left all as default as I only need a vpn connection into my server to access shares and want to use my remote internet connection, not that of my server. VPN server address stayed as the default 192.168.160.0/24 as suggested.

Don't ask me why in the vpn/clients there are no clients listed, and the guide doesn't ask for it.

I didn't touch the advertise networks, left it all as default (my server has 2 interfaces, one internal and one external).

Finally with these settings, I clicked on download client bundle in the vpn servers tab. I used our registered server address "name".zentyal.me, and ticked to add the openvpn installer to the bundle for my windows machine.  Clicked on download, and Openvpn actually downloaded within firefox (run/save etc). I extracted the zip file, installed the setup, ignored the warnings from Win7. Then copied the certificates provided in the zip file to the config folder of c:/program files (x86)/openvpn/config.  Then when I went to the start button of windows there was a bolded "generate a static OpenVPN key" tab which I clicked on and a key was copied also into the config folder of openvpn.

Then I ran openvpn. It logged in and provided an assigned IP of 192.168.160.2 (server is pingable on 192.168.160.1 (and in firefox I can log into the server with https:/192.168.160.1), and I am not sure what is operating on 192.168.160.0 as that is its VPN address, but I am leaving well alone.

Then once logged in I could map a network drive as I normally would if I had been internal.

I hope this provides some info to the other dummies out there, none of the zentyal heros or techies bothered to respond >:(, they were probably smart enough to know that I would either figure it out or go away. But it is a free software, volunteer forum etc and no blame, so I hope this helps someone in turn. Phew