Author Topic: New OpenChange webmail in Zentyal 3.4  (Read 9411 times)

jkerihuel

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
New OpenChange webmail in Zentyal 3.4
« on: February 21, 2014, 07:13:07 pm »
Good afternoon,

Starting with Zentyal 3.4, users of the OpenChange module will discover a new webmail specifically redesigned by Zentyal to provide a familiar user experience and improve usability.

You can learn more about this change and see some screenshots in the following article published in Zentyal Labs:

http://labs.zentyal.org/zentyal-webmail-restyle/

We are very excited to share this work with you and would really appreciate feedback from early adopters before it goes live with Zentyal 3.4 ISO on March 15th.

Br,
Julien.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/jkerihuel
Key fingerprint = 08BA 50B1 9EFF 8E1E FB4A  24FA B2A9 D5F3 9624 1CC2

christian

Re: New OpenChange webmail in Zentyal 3.4
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 10:05:39 pm »
Could you please clarify if this webmail interface is linked to OpenChange deployment of if it comes in replacement of existing webmail service (i.e. Roundcube) ?

Edit: to clarify my question, it clearly shows that this is "OpenChange webmail" but does it mean that "basic" webmail will disappear ?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 10:10:27 pm by christian »

jkerihuel

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 02:35:49 am »
This webmail interface is linked to OpenChange deployment and existing webmail (roundcube) is unaffected and remains untouched.

Br,
Julien.

peterpugh

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 09:59:48 am »
Julien apols for bothering you.

Just interested the with tasks the Zarafa webapp couldn't assign tasks to other users.
This irritated me slightly as apart from that it was perfect for my users and for me no hassle with the setup of clients.

Can't install anything until the 7th and the documentation didn't seem to have any images of tasks.

Any chance you could add to the gallery of all the functions it contains or does that functionality need a client app?

From a personal standpoint even if its the same as Zarafa I still think Openchange makes more sense with the addition of MAPI.

Would be a no brainer if it also has brick level backup utilities.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 10:03:23 am by peterpugh »

jkerihuel

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 12:19:31 pm »
Julien apols for bothering you.

No bothering at all

Any chance you could add to the gallery of all the functions it contains or does that functionality need a client app?

At this stage of the development/integration - this feature is missing. However point noted for further releases/improvements. That was one of the objective of this thread/discussion. Glad it takes this direction.

With regards to feature list and gallery, the exhaustive list is yet missing, but should indeed be available and belongs to zentyal wiki. We will try to provide a preliminary list soon.

Would be a no brainer if it also has brick level backup utilities.

Definitely a mid-term requirement and good candidate for 3.5 or 4.0 release.

Br,
Julien.

peterpugh

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 01:44:14 pm »
Wish I could get things up and running  :'( yes I am crying about no broadband again :)

If basically it did all what Zarafa webapp or webaccess did without the need for widgets and added the ability to delegate tasks then I doubt I would be bothered with the hassle of client mail apps.

With Zarafa and brick level my cheat was to run a version in virtualbox ship the backup and imapcopy back the mailbox. Only was ever needed once in three years but tasks just finish off the groupware where the basis of most operations can operate in the 80/20 rule.

Only other thing was Ical import and export. I found it quite easy to grab an Ical of UK holidays and save me or someone the hassle.

Export with a few clients I used to use phpicalendar to display a read only version of daily events and also it was a good historical list.

The only other thing is will openchange / zentyal / sogo provide developer links for things like plugins?

From time tracking to vcard input that maybe 3rd parties will start to add?

gzen

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 11:45:33 pm »

I have a dumb question here, Zentyal 3.4 runs on Ubuntu 13.10 only, there's no way to run it on Ubuntu 12.04, correct?

christian

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 05:26:06 am »
if such question is triggered by non-PAE issue (because aside this, I don't see any reason why you couldn't not run 13.10), then be aware that fakepae package does the trick pretty well. (I successfully run Saucy on old VIA C7-D  ;D)

peterpugh

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 10:23:59 am »
Its been developed and setup on 13.10 and sooner or later your going to hit dependency and package problems.

Personally I really like the new release schedule.

14.04 LTS is out in april and I am a bit confused about the revisions if this will be 3.6 or 4.0.

When 14.04 and the big thing is LTS because of the community and zentyal adherence to all ubuntu releases things should be a walk in the park.

I will be running Trusty in the same way I am desperate to have a go with 3.4 and Saucy at the moment. When it comes out it will be bleeding edge and I intend to be part of the beta and continued release pattern.

Also I will not being upgrading my servers and then complaining to Zentyal that things are not the same.
For me upgrades never worked with M$ and I don't see why I should expect the same from Zentyal.

Clean installs and once proven migrate my data and then to production. Exactly the same as I did with M$.

dean_za

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 12:47:41 pm »
Hi I have setup a quick test server and have a few comments.

1. No clear way to process mail rules for moving mail to certain folders etc
2. The calendar doesn't seem to work as I created an appointment with 2 users and then when I went to create a new appointment with a third user neither of the two users already busy showed as busy in the calendar pane.
3. Labelling any email as important , personal etc doesn't seem to work.

Using 3.4.3 updated today

Regards
Dean