Author Topic: ebox killed ssh and internet, on ubuntu 7.10  (Read 2665 times)

gkffjcs

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
ebox killed ssh and internet, on ubuntu 7.10
« on: March 26, 2008, 04:53:42 am »
I have a system in a remote location (home, I am a student at university) , I use as a personal file server. I have therefore only ssh access.
Background:
It has a 1.5ghs processor, 2.5 gigs of ram, one nic card, two harddisks, one is 20 gigs and has my root, partition, the other is 500gig, and is split into two partitions, one for files and one for vmware machines. On this system I have installed kubuntu gutsy, ssh, samba, and vmware server (free). In vmware I have xp pro running with remote desktop enabled.
What I did:
I was anoyed with sshfs and wanted to use smb over secure vpn, so I wanted to try and install openvpn on my server/desktop. I had attempted to set it up using the terminal and several tutorials, and guides which didn't work. So I searched on apt for a ui for the admin side of the openvpn server setup and configuration and found ebox-openvpn. I expected that it would install a few packages related to openvpn, Instead as i found out later ebox is a massive remote admin suite, desighed to be installed on a dedicated box. ebox installed, but I noticed that my ssh session had completely died. I could no longer login. For some strange reason the remote desktop session in the windows vm was still functional. I was able to open up putty, and luckily for some reason I don't fully understand; when I tried to ssh in from putty in windows vmware/remote desktop session I was seen as localhost and was allowed past the firewall. I have since read that ebox over writes many critical files in /etc/* At the time I initially tried to simply remove ebox using apt but that didn't work, I tried to reinstall it, but appearantly the computer no longer has any internet access at all. infact, aside from the strange fluke with being able to login to the winxp session nothing can get in or out, also the vm has no internet either. I cannot reinstall ebox, is there a way of restoring the net functionality of my system? Also I have iso's of the kubuntu live cd on the system, so I can loop mount them if needed, if they might help. Also if I had not made this specifically clear one of the ebox packages was a firewall. And clearly un installing it has not given be the ability to log back in. I believe it may have messed with my iprouting tables, but I am not sure, and that would only be a guess. There is absolutely no way I can get physical access to the box for several months.

Javier Amor Garcia

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: ebox killed ssh and internet, on ubuntu 7.10
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 09:01:23 am »
Hi,
 i don't have any idea about thestate of your system but we ca ntry the following:

- disable firewall: you can do it with the following commands:
 iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT
 iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT
 iptables -F

- configure network interface. I assume you are using dhcp in your network and  that your adaptor name is 'eth0'. You must use this command to get a new address:
 dhclient eth0

Hope that will help, if not please ask again.

Cheers,
  Javier

gkffjcs

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 06:21:27 am »
Thank you, that worked like a charm, also btw my system is configured with static ip addresses, in order to enable port forwarding on my nat router, that part didn't seem to be affected, once I reset the iptables, the system seemed to return to it's default state. I guess luckly ebox hadn't really done much more that start a firewall which was the biggest part of my problem.

sixstone

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • Sixstone's blog
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 09:19:48 am »
In following version of eBox, you may disable firewall module if you require so.

The main problem you may have had is the firewall restarting didn't work correctly and leave iptables rules inconsistent :-S...
My secret is my silence...