Author Topic: Where do you run eBox on ?  (Read 9437 times)

cougarmaster

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
Re: Where do you run eBox on ?
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2010, 04:35:25 am »
Hi All,
    I run all my server firewall and stuff on XEN. Haven't looked back on standalone servers for a long time :) It is serving its purpose by consolidating and saving lots of unnecessary use of electricity. I usually have pfSense, Trixbox, Zoneminder and now ebox running on one server using the following hardware :-

AMD 5000+ x64
            8GB DDR2 800Mhz
            2x 80GB SATA
            2x 2TB SATA (didn't have problems using ears under RAID and LVM)
            4 port Telephone card pci pass thru to Trixbox
            4 port capture card to zoneminder
            Wifi PCI card
            1Gbps PCI-e lan card + onboard

There are 3 other systems in production use similar to this config but faster cpu, but I like to use AMD as it is cheaper and same stability as Intel but faster at same price point lol. Been running these system from 1 year to 3 months without reboots.

hvilppola

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2010, 06:06:54 pm »
Hello!

We've now updated and added a more specific description of the eBox Platform Hardware Requirements to the Wiki. We hope you'll find it useful - keep posting the hardware you use for your installation!

Cheers!

Saturn2888

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2010, 08:46:52 pm »
What?

leshii

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2010, 12:05:21 am »
My setup seems much more conservative than everyone elses.
not really all that fussed about backup as it just site on a cupboard under the stairs and to be honest doesn't have anything I cant loose (media mainly).

Decided to go with ebox after my Gentoo install I had previously gave up after I tried to do an update world --emptytree after about 2 years of no updates. It kind of broke. (if it aint broke don't fix it eh)

First off installed it on the original hardware of a via epia mainboard with 533Mhz C3 and 768MB ram.
This coped surprisingly well but was just too slow in the webinterface.
So I acquired an ex work HP DC7100 with 2G ram this runs a dream with 160G sata for OS and 500G ide for data.
Have setup Xvnc style Terminal server so I can access the box remotely and do admin that I maybe cannot do through the web interface though to be fair most of the time the webinterface and ssh are sufficient.
We did have some G2 DL360's going into the skip at work so i did consider one of these but the cost of SCSI drives to feed it put me off so will stick with this for now.

FutureTechSys

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Future Tech Systems, LLC
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2010, 08:42:58 pm »
I have my box running on a 2.4 GHz core 2 Quad, 2 gigs of RAM, and a 500GB sata drive.  It's what I had lying around :)

It's a test bed to try out the technology, and I have just about every available package running on it, and it hosts email for 1 domain.  Granted I'm one user, and I'm not using it heavily, but I can't imagine it not being able to comfortably handle 10-20 users.

With all server type stuff, even Microsoft, drive speed and RAM are much more important than CPU; for instance, I recently upgraded a 32 bit win 2003 machine with 2 gigs of ram to 16 gigs of ram and 64 bit Windows 2008, and despite 2008 being newer, the machine runs noticably quicker just due to the RAM.

Drive speed as I said is important too - for my server boxes that I build, the boot drive is an SSD drive, which it will use for swap as well, and the data storage drives are SATA.  There is a big tendency in this industry to oversell what you need for hardware.

So load up on RAM because its cheap, and take the extra time to configure the 64 bit version, and you'll be happy.
Future Tech Systems, LLC
http://www.FutureTechSys.com

See our Zazen servers running Zentyal!
http://www.futuretechsys.com/small-biz/

SpiderOak online backup - 2GB Free!
https://spideroak.com/download/promo/fts

midas

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2010, 05:01:18 pm »
Uhm. I run my gateway, firewall, etc. on an Acer A150 netbook  ;D.  Well, I will after I complete the testing.  It currently sits on my subnet as I do some testing.

I've upgraded the memory to 1.5GB.  It will replace a Dell SC420 server.  I have three users with about 10 systems (a mix of Macs and Linux).  I wanted something that was small and had a screen/keyboard to fit in my data closet.  I *will not* run a proxy, email, etc. service.  I want a stable firewall with network monitoring. 

I've added a second USB ethernet adaptor and will see about getting madfi working for a wireless AP (not really needed but hey, sounds interesting).

patmagee1024

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2011, 05:03:52 am »
Heh. I'm running 4 NICs in mine. Got 3 of them bridged together and one connected to the cable modem. Performance is just like being there.

robb

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2011, 07:58:26 am »
I build my server from SuperMicro hardware: Motherboard and case that is. 2 WD 500GB disks. Intel i3 processor and 8GB memory.

Zentyal runs as a VM inside ESXi 4.1 alongside a few other VM's.