Author Topic: Zentyal 4.0 Roadmap Published!  (Read 58869 times)

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://blogs.zentyal.org/jacalvo
Re: Zentyal 4.0 Roadmap Published!
« Reply #75 on: September 07, 2014, 07:43:21 pm »
Installed Zentyal 4.0, got it up and running.. Works fine.... BUT!

Can't believe that they actually dropped the backup, webserver and ups module while Jabber still exists... gotta be a joke right?
I really see no reason why I (or anyone else) should upgrade (or rather downgrade) to Zentyal 4.0.

No it's not a joke. Jabber is a potentially interesting module for a possible integration with the webmail (like gmail + hangouts), to offer a more complete groupware solution. The other modules you refer do not fit so well in our current focus, they are more for the previous "all in one" approach. We decided that there is no point in trying to do an "all in one" because there are lot of better specific alternatives and because the negative impact in the "Active Exchange" focus.

By the way, we are already documenting how to replace all that functionality not present in 4.0 ;)
Zentyal Server Lead Developer

timroijers

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 08, 2014, 01:10:16 pm »
By the way, we are already documenting how to replace all that functionality not present in 4.0 ;)

Now that would be great!

fasttech

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 09, 2014, 12:40:35 am »

I really not trying to be an ass but I feel the need to point this out.

This forum is full of posts from folks suffering failures of all the modules working together in versions 3.whatever.
Versions 3.whatever being the semi official ? community version of the all in one.
Most of these posts are unanswered and or have no responses because of poor posting or simply no one able or interested in trying to help.

Now, v4 will be released without all these modules but with 'documentation' for the community to try and make unsupported modules work.

If there were so many problems, many I experienced myself, with the unsupported community version of the all in one, who in the hell would dare waste their time trying to make v4 work with other functionality especially when the next core update would be liable to render the server inop?

Seems like a wasted exercise, I wonder how many people will bang their heads against their desks trying to follow this 'documentation', fruitlessly.

Now I'm waiting to see the finished, polished v4, to see if I can use it, but years of experience with Zentyal guarantees I won't waste a minute trying to get v4 to do anything it isn't already written to do and I'll continually recommend no one else does either.

All I can say is, thank God for vm's and snapshots.

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://blogs.zentyal.org/jacalvo
« Reply #78 on: September 10, 2014, 10:47:17 am »

Now that would be great!

There are some already, but more will appear here:

https://wiki.zentyal.org/wiki/How-to%27s_and_tutorials#Complementary_functionality_not_covered_by_Zentyal_Server
Zentyal Server Lead Developer

RAB

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 10, 2014, 11:16:22 am »
So there is a lot of talk on modules that are being abandoned. Although  I do agree that it is for some modules regretful and for sure inconvenient - I also think it is something that is a fact and the company's good right.

However - the incrementally scrapping of supported modules over the last releases leaves me (and I presume many others) in uncertainty on what I can rely on for the future. It makes me very hesitant and wonder if and how Zentyal fits into my infrastructure (be it commercial or community edition).

It would be extremely helpful if Zentyal could list the modules they are (and will be) committed to supporting such that I can make a founded decision on the future position of Zentyal in my organization.

Thank you!

« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 11:27:33 am by RAB »

mateusz.stepien

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2014, 06:01:20 pm »
Are we going to be able put exchange services on SDC instead of PDC since that realease? I would rather not put such a huge service on my Primary Domain Controller.

Luke

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 24, 2014, 11:50:45 pm »
I was one of those who wondered what happened to Zentyal. Modules that disappeared one by one. A little stressed we wondered which way we should go with Zentyal. Before we used Zentyal 2.2 as main server.

We bought a QNAP TS-420U and installed zentyal 3.5 server on a computer and through Active Directory joined QNAP to zentyal server. I think zentyal is very good as replacement for Microsoft Small Business Server.

We have web server and ftp in QNAP and zentyal is working very well as replacement for Microsoft Small Business Server.

So for me i think somehow the Zentyal team is on the right way with 4.0.

Good luck Zentyal team with the release of 4.0. We will go for Zentyal.

Sorry for my little half bad English.  :)

Greetings from Sweden.

johnpavvo

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 27, 2017, 01:29:13 pm »
Hello Developer Team,

Anyone knows if Zentyal will provide an upgrade from 3.2 Professional Edition (12.04 lts) to this 4.0 (14.04 lts)?

Absolutely, direct upgrade from 3.2 to 4.0 will be provided for professional editions.

There will be of course also an upgrade path from 3.5 to 4.0 for community editions.

hi friends:
i have some problem in 4.0 edition
a research based studies about Pregnany.its all about  Early Signs of pregnancy and other tips for new mothers.We Working Health,Fitness Related Research Work