Author Topic: Hasta la vista, Trac  (Read 33500 times)

jkerihuel

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
Hasta la vista, Trac
« on: February 03, 2014, 11:55:15 pm »
Good evening,

This week, we have scheduled to migrate from our existing trac bug tracker and documentation framework to redmine for the bug tracking and mediawiki for the documentation:

http://tracker.zentyal.org

The tool is never an end in itself but it does have a significant impact on how we supply documentation, triage, follow-up or process issues with ease and better efficiency. We have already invested a significant additional amount of time in fixing bugs and we will continue this effort until we reach what we consider being an acceptable status. Furthermore, some parts of the documentation have already been migrated and the rendering is quite good.

One significant part of this process is obviously the migration of tickets and we have chosen to this regards to perform a manual triage among existing tickets. The objective is not to artificially decrease the number of backlog issues but to focus on what is achievable to be fixed in a foreseeable future. It is therefore possible we omit by inadvertence to migrate some tickets that shall be important to you. If such case occurs, you are invited to add them onto the new service. Any help to this regards will be strongly appreciated!

The new platform will soon be available and you will be able to log in with your forums credentials.

In the meanwhile, it would be really appreciated if you could postpone posting in trac for the next couple of days while we launch the new system.

Best Regards,
Julien.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 12:21:58 pm by jkerihuel »
Twitter: http://twitter.com/jkerihuel
Key fingerprint = 08BA 50B1 9EFF 8E1E FB4A  24FA B2A9 D5F3 9624 1CC2

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://blogs.zentyal.org/jacalvo
Re: Hasta la vista, Trac
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 12:39:05 am »
Just some info about the status of the migration: We've pre-selected currently 90 of the most relevant/well-reported issues to be moved to the new redmine in the next days. Once the migration is done, if anyone is missing anything of course will be very welcome to add it again in the new tracker.

As Julien says, would be great if there is not too much movement in the trac during a couple of days.

Thanks for your patience! I think we all will enjoy this move :)
Zentyal Server Lead Developer

robb

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 08:34:30 am »
For the documentation, what will be the new structure of the mediawiki environment?
Will it just be search based (all documents will be in 1 large directory) and tagged with search words? Or will there be subject and language based subdirectories?

How will the wiki be moderated to insure accurate info? And how will it be protected against spam?

We've pre-selected currently 90 of the most relevant/well-reported issues to be moved to the new redmine in the next days
What happens with all the other tickets? Because they are less documented doesn't mean the problems aren't real.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 09:36:49 am by robb »

jkerihuel

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 01:37:49 pm »
What happens with all the other tickets? Because they are less documented doesn't mean the problems aren't real.

You are missing the point.

No matter whether the reported issue is real or not. If it is not documented properly, we won't be able to reproduce it. The ticket will therefore end being tagged with "worksforme", "invalid" or "rejected" status. This is not worth the effort.

We have chosen a saner and more pragmatic approach which implies that any tickets that gets forgotten, omitted or discarded will naturally ends in the new bug tracker with more accurate information. We will then be able to handle the ticket quicker and this responsiveness will be beneficial to everybody.

Br,
Julien.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/jkerihuel
Key fingerprint = 08BA 50B1 9EFF 8E1E FB4A  24FA B2A9 D5F3 9624 1CC2

mburillo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 04:09:20 pm »
Hello robb  :D,

For the documentation, what will be the new structure of the mediawiki environment?
Will it just be search based (all documents will be in 1 large directory) and tagged with search words? Or will there be subject and language based subdirectories?

How will the wiki be moderated to insure accurate info? And how will it be protected against spam?

Ok good questions, I have not 100% decided yet, but probably will follow the same structure as the course, one folder per language, inside this folder all the documents and the index, with the relevants links (main, next, etc...)
Zentyal Staff - Product Manager

robb

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 07:52:25 pm »
Good to hear Mateo. If I can be of assistance just let me know.

robb

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 11:01:26 am »
The new bugtracker is live.
You can find it at https://bugs.zentyal.org

Please activate your account with the same credentials as your forum account.

jjmontes

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 06:27:46 pm »
Hello!

Both https://tracker.zentyal.org and http://wiki.zentyal.org are now available.

Tracker system can be accessed using the forum credentials (we will also add information to the login page).

We are still undergoing the setup for Wiki accounts, but at this time they will likely be granted on demand (we beg a little patience about this, we'll get back).

Thanks all for your support!

peterpugh

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 06:45:33 pm »
Initially looks better, wiki login says no user name. Tracker logs on.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 06:47:28 pm by peterpugh »

robb

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 07:09:47 pm »
Thnx jjmontes for the heads up.
Could you activate my account for wiki already?
thnx

logdog

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 08:23:37 pm »
What is the link to the old version bugtracker?

stm999999999

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 04:28:43 am »

logdog

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2014, 11:23:44 am »
need a working link, since I cann't find my questions, and I want to restore them.

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://blogs.zentyal.org/jacalvo
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2014, 12:34:20 pm »
need a working link, since I cann't find my questions, and I want to restore them.

If you have questions you should ask them in this forum or the IRC channel. The tracker is only for reporting bugs, providing as much information as possible about how to reproduce the problem, because otherwise most of the times we just can't fix the issue if we can't experience it by ourselves.
Zentyal Server Lead Developer

ian

• Community Council Member
  • Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
    • Familie site
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2014, 12:50:23 pm »
Hello,

How to post a new problem and a new ticket ?

P.s. my ticket 7722 import/export error on release 3.2.4 is reopend with number 115 with priority normal.
As long that this problem not is solved, the release 3.2.4 or later can not be used in a production environment becaus the backup/restore does not work so form it is a critical priority.

Thanks and best regards,
Ian