Author Topic: Is Xorg required for core functionality of Zentyal?  (Read 2317 times)

infodr

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Is Xorg required for core functionality of Zentyal?
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2014, 10:43:09 pm »
I will definitely give it a try in a production box if someone can explain that suspicious network activity that I was posting about in another thread. It feels Okay in a VM with 512 MB RAM even with X running, but I have not put it under any load yet - just simulated some Jabber account activity.

infodr

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2014, 03:14:22 pm »
So I tried. On Fri night I attached another hdd with Zentyal installed to my router box and rebooted.
Provided LAN interface with IP, WAN interfaces with pppoe credentials, observed them successfully connecting to the ISP and gateways automatically created. Enabled DNS. Tried to browse ISP's web site. No go: the site never opened. It could be pinged, as could the OpenDNS forwarders I was using, but no web site would open.

I closed the browser and went over to my LAN workstation to continue configuration remotely. Still can ping internet from the LAN, but cannot browse any sites. So I thought it required a proxy... Enabled transparent proxy, added router and its port# as a proxy to Firefox and tried again. Same thing, but now I cannot open web admin interface and cannot ping any internet site. Added exception for the LAN to Firefox proxy. Web admin works again.

So I thought that it probaly does indeed not run in 512 MB box and moved HDD over to a box with 2 GB RAM.

Still the same: no web site would open. There was over 1 GB free ram and CPU load was fluctuating between 0 and 100, never sticking to 100 all the time.

I find it strange that soft router would not work right out of the box, this is the first time in my IT career. What other configuration does Zentyal need to serve as a router?

robb

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2014, 04:46:45 pm »
Was this from the box itself or from a client pc that was behind Zentyal?
If Zentyal is configured as a gateway having 2 interfaces, the interface that is connecting to the internet _must_ be set as external otherwise clients will not be able to connect to an external network (in this case: the internet)

infodr

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2014, 04:53:35 pm »
Was this from the box itself or from a client pc that was behind Zentyal?
If Zentyal is configured as a gateway having 2 interfaces, the interface that is connecting to the internet _must_ be set as external otherwise clients will not be able to connect to an external network (in this case: the internet)

I closed the browser and went over to my LAN workstation to continue configuration remotely.

Yes, WAN interfaces set themselves up as external automatically. Was first thing I checked.

robb

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2014, 04:55:21 pm »
Did you set up DNS correctly? Can you open a website by IP address?
For instance: if you open http://31.222.178.227/ do you get to zentyal.org website?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 04:56:55 pm by robb »

infodr

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2014, 08:14:44 pm »
Did you set up DNS correctly? Can you open a website by IP address?
For instance: if you open http://31.222.178.227/ do you get to zentyal.org website?

the site never opened. It could be pinged, as could the OpenDNS forwarders I was using, but no web site would open.

No, web sites do not open either by IP or by name.
Well, they "kind of" trying to open - the site's title changes to the correct one in the browser after a minute or 2, but content never arrives.

I don't know if Firefox stores previously accessed site's title in its cache, it could, so the end result is strange: the connections don't even time out after a while, they just never open and keep spinning the daisy.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 03:06:52 pm by infodr »

robb

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2014, 12:22:34 pm »
Again: is this from Zentyal or from a client pc?

infodr

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2014, 03:00:39 pm »
Yea, everything related to a LAN workstation