Author Topic: Imap does not respond in webmail  (Read 1742 times)

pekkape

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Imap does not respond in webmail
« on: January 17, 2014, 01:04:01 am »
Hello

I am a new Zentyal Admin and I do work as a technician but with Cisco Networking and Wireless and earlier with ordinary windows usersupport so there are many areas within the whole Zentyal package that I am extremely unexperianced with and mail is such an area that I never succeeded to get working with Linux. I use Zentyal for my personal use but wants to learn how every module works. I set it up mainly as a Firewall, gateway and DHCP for my NAT:ed local network. I have played around with Linux back and forth since 20 years back I think, which doesnt say anything really, except that I am not new to Unix.

I have set up a server and 2 virtual domains and they have no special settings. I do not know if I should add the names of the domains here or not but I cannot see a problem with it.
As I live close to a spices factory I will use spices in the names of my machines.

Domain: balltorp.zentyal.me and balltorp.zentyal.com and my users email domain is balltop.zentyal.com.
imap, imaps, pop3 and pop3s are activated. When I try to login with username@balltorp.zentyal.com, I get the response that Roundcube cannot connect to Imap. My first thought was that it is the firewall that stops me from getting any further but there is no such object as accepting imap in the firewall and maybe it is so that I need to set the ports for Imap to get it to work or can it be something else that I have missed??  I have followed the documentation at zentyal.org and I plan to peek at the howto video now about email as well that you have at your howto section.

I am not used to virtual domains really and I do not have the exact picture in my head about how they work but I cant ping the 2 virtual domains, which I think I should be able too. Maybe this is the main problem that made it impossible for me to get a mailserver to work at all??

If anyone wants to test to login, I can create a temporary user account as well through email. The server has nothing important as it is just a basic installation so I am not worried really to let anyone of you inside to it. Webmail: http://chilli.zentyal.me/webmail/  https is stopped in the firewall at this point and I plan to activate it when I get the webamil to work. Pinging and accessing chilli.zentyal.me works well and thats one step in the right direction.   :)

https is activated in the internal network and https://chilli.zentyal.me/webmail/ will try to open a webmail section inside the Zentyal administration instead of running Roundcube, and I have set deny all in the external firewall for external administration so I would need some tips here as well.

//Pekka
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 01:08:13 am by pekkape »

pekkape

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Imap does not respond in webmail
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 02:29:39 am »
I suppose it is my virtual domain that needs to be assigned an IP number manually. As my knowledge aboir Zentual is so limited at this point, I thought maybe it will be able to fix my virtual Domain automatically but I suspect that it need to be added to a hostlist - DNS. The manual does not say anything about how to do this and making a virtual Domain in Zentyal seems so damn easy but could anyone give me a hint if I am on the right track here?

I have 4 public IP adresses and they are on a /29 network, 255.255.255.252. My ISP do not have a service for static so my few IP are DHCP. So if I need to fake my virtual domain, lets say first IP is 43.100.100.1 and the last is 43.100.100.4 and the NAT is 192.168.1.0/24, which fake IP should my virtual mail network have?  Maybe I should get a dyndns mail domain instead?

I hope you can help me as I looked forward to get this to work and use Zentyal as my main email-address.  :).  I use Zentyal 3.2 and is there any known imap bugs in it as I see the list of problems with 3.3 are growing.   ;)

//Pekka

christian

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 08:13:15 am »
in order to reach your domain from internet, while not having any fixed IP, you can still use DynDNS or similar service.
If I'm not wrong, Zentyal does provide such service too but I wont comment as I never used it and never read any documentation about such service.

pekkape

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 11:56:46 am »
Thanks for your answer.   :)

I will test the VPN function today, so it is not nescesary I suppose to get into the webamil from direct Internet access. Is it possible to use the same IP for my server host and the virtual domain or do I need an Unique IP for each? I plan to use Internet a lot to access my local network from my GF's apartment.

//Pekka