Author Topic: First configuring for primary using zarafa  (Read 2165 times)

Torsten73

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
First configuring for primary using zarafa
« on: January 08, 2014, 01:04:57 am »
Hi,
I want to use for my home server zentyal as an replacement for my really old SBS2003 Server.

Therefore i have a Setup with zentyal 3.3 in an VM on KVM with Ubuntu 12.04.03 as Host. Setup and networking is running.
But i think i had enabled to many modules on installation which are unnecessary for my needing and now I am running into trouble with setting up zarafa. (i enabled nearly everything  :-\ )
One year earlier, I tried Univention UCS CT Edition, but without ct´s setup guide i think it was to difficult for setting up, although it worked after many hours in trouble search. There has been to many setup jobs from console (for pop3 collector) without understanding what I did. I like gui frontend (sorry i´ve been to long a microsoft technican) much, and i think zentyal together with ubuntu is more common for me.

What i minimal need in this installation is:
- zarafa for exchange replacement, no data import, only 3 mail addresses with imap or pop3 with my own email domain.
- Domain Controller
- maybe as fileserver (not sure if not a second vm with freenas will be easier for my needing), I need
- no firewall, routing or vpn nedded, zentyal runs behind my AVM Fritzbox Cable Router and this one is doing everything very easy and well. It´s also used for VPN.

My searching didn´t find a usefull setup guide for using zarafa. I can´t distinguish what connector i should use, because i found two of them, one from zarafa and one from zentyal. Next i wasn´t able to setup my users, because my primary user torsten is used by setting up zentyal as admin user. The group and user menu has changed on 3.3, so all i found was different (especially some youtube tutorials for user setup)

Anyone can help me with hints for selecting correct modules on setup and how to set up zarafa.

My skills are good for microsoft and fairly well on ubuntu, i use ubuntu as a vdr server. I work as an IT service technician.

Thanks a lot, and i hope i provided enough information for helping me. Otherwise please ask for providing more infos.

Regards
Torsten
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 01:16:45 am by Torsten73 »
--------------------------------------------------------------
Zentyal 3.5 (offline) unter Ubuntu12.04.3 YAVDR 0.5 als KVM Host
Action Pack Abo with a running Exc. 2013 :-)

Torsten73

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: First configuring for primary using zarafa
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 02:56:26 pm »
Could no one help me? Or am I in the wrong sub forum ?

christian

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 03:05:34 pm »
No the wrong forum but perhaps too many question in very different directions  ???
Furthermore, you should start reading Zentyal documentation that will, although this is far from being perfect, give you basic understanding on what is provided by each module.

E.g: domain controller and file sharing are very tightly linked in Zentyal implementation as both rely on Samba 4.
You problem regarding account used as Zentyal admin conflicting with LDAP account is also widely discussed in this forum (this is basically not supported)

For what concerns Zarafa, I can't help (I'm not running it) but would advice to think twice if your choice is to go for Zentyal mail: Zentyal organization is now focusing on OpenChange. I'm not saying it will replace Zarafa (this decision belongs to Zentyal) but would not be surprised if Zentyal replace Zarafa with OpenChange during their journey to Microsoft SBS replacement. Is it then worth the effort ?

With Zentyal,

Torsten73

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 05:46:39 pm »
I have splitted my questions and open a new one.
The documentation is as poor as possible for beginning. I found now step by step guide for the first setup. That would be very useful. To many questions i have and maybe too many unknown things.

And in one system 3 nearly similar Groupware Features to have isn´t easy to decide what to choose. Can i use all of them together?

Maybe i should better give sogo http://www.sogo.nu/ a try, altough the setup is much more difficult.

christian

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 06:56:38 pm »
Sure, similar, if not same services, are achievable implementing different modules and options. This provides some flexibility but also brings some complexity if you don't exactly know where you want to go and wat are the pros & cons of each solution.
This can't be easily described in documentation, at least not within the one produced by Zentyal but as Zentyal is made of various opensource components, you can still get documentation from each component. Worst case, you will have only limited implementation or with some constraints.