Author Topic: server sizing  (Read 2686 times)

graylion

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
server sizing
« on: March 21, 2011, 01:48:09 pm »
Hi

I am looking to build a zentyal server for the following application:

Office services for ~10 users, possibly with eGW instead of Zarafa, since eGW is better at connecting non browser clients. But, and here comes the cinch:

potentially several 1000 Jabber users that must be able to do only jabber. And they need to be authenticated, since this is supposed to be a safe chat environment for schools.

My current idea of hardware is a Phenom 910e with 4 GB of RAM. Is that enough? Do I need more RAM? More CPU? halp! :)

thanks all

Bernhard

Josep

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
Re: server sizing
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 11:08:29 am »
You may have up to 1000 users but ... but how many are active at any moment? 10? 100?
You talk about processor and RAM, but I would expect issues on the connectivity side: how many NICs? how will they be connected to the network?

graylion

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 10:36:43 pm »
I am actually expecting up to 1000 concurrent or even more. and yes I am aware that that will need quite a bot of a pipe. I am not sure the customer knows that yet. I'll find that out from the jabber geeks.

BTW does zentyal/ejabberd support conference facilities, ie chatrooms?

Josep

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 10:38:02 am »
If you don't have experience in this kind of setup (and neither does the client, I presume) I would suggest to define a trial period as part of the project.
You can sell the idea with some starting hardware (whatever you can get), put it in place, pick some lucky students ;-) and conduct a test for 1 or 2 weeks. You should be able to pinpoint what parts are being stressed the most.
RAM is not that expensive, so why not 8GB of RAM? You will probably spend more money on switches, unless the network is already in place.
I'd like to hear how your project goes. It is always interesting to see how one can adapt Zentyal for different situations.

Sam Graf

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 03:39:55 pm »
BTW does zentyal/ejabberd support conference facilities, ie chatrooms?

Yes, it does. Zentyal has an option to enable it.