Author Topic: internal mail server conguration  (Read 6059 times)

luna

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
internal mail server conguration
« on: December 17, 2007, 08:39:19 pm »
i have an internal mail server with exchange and is not receiving incomming mails but this one is sending, i want to know how to configure my ebox to pass the incoming mail to the internal mail server.

thanks.

baboo

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: internal mail server conguration
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 01:32:50 am »
Hi luna,

It would be helpful to give a little more info. Basically, you need a simple smtp config on ebox that has your exchange mail server's host name for the relay. I don't use exchange but I'm sure it has something like a smarthost feature. Meaning it will see your ebox smtp and accept mail for relay. You do not specify if users on ebox are different from exchange users. If so, this opens up a whole course of actions. If they are the same users, I don't know why you would want to use ebox for mail.

Give as much info describing the situation and I sure someone will try to help.

luna

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 09:45:02 pm »
my ebox is only working as proxy server, and don't have any users created, the mail server is in the internal network and is sending emails, but when you try to send an email from the outside to my internal mail server this one is been rejected by the ebox, my proxy  server have two nic, one internal and other external with a public address, i had try by making a rediretion of the smtp port, to the internal address of the mail server.

y just need to pass the incoming mail to the internal mail server.

thanks

znguissi

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 11:35:19 pm »

my ebox is only working as proxy server, and don't have any users created,
I wonder why you want to kill a bee using a tank !!!
the mail server is in the internal network and is sending emails, but when you try to send an email from the outside to my internal mail server this one is been rejected by the ebox, my proxy  server have two nic, one internal and other external with a public address
Since you have access to Internet, you are able to send mails, but they will be marked as spam by most mailservers like yahoo or hotmail.
i had try by making a rediretion of the smtp port, to the internal address of the mail server.
You may be missing something in the configuration of port redirection in ebox.

When I only need firewall I don't use ebox, because i found it degrading to use this faboulos solution that is ebox just for firewalling.

Since you are using Exchange on your network, this means you have Active Directory running. I suggest you use a dedicated distro like IPCop or Smoothwall for firewalling. Make sure the domain your register from Internet is pointing to your public address and check your port redirection. Next, you will be abble to authenticate users going to Internet from your firewall and this will require a less powerfull computer.

Good Luck !
Knowledge is free !