Author Topic: eBox installation on Debian Etch  (Read 4523 times)

murmel

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
eBox installation on Debian Etch
« on: December 17, 2007, 07:36:31 pm »
Howdy howdy!
I've been trying, searching etc. for a way of installing eBox on Etch. But apt doesn't work and yeah, I felt like writing in the forum! =)
Awsome job with everything!

//Simon

Jorge Arcas

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: eBox installation on Debian Etch
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 08:02:19 pm »
You have just won a Warp t-shirt for being the first one to post in the forum :)

Just send your address to jarcas at warp.es so we can send it to you :)

murmel

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 08:08:36 pm »
Sweet, I love t-shirts!
Thanks!

But back to my question. Is there a way of installing eBox on a Debian Etch machine? :)

javi

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 10:16:18 pm »
Hi murmel!

We don't have packages for Debian Etch. If you want to install eBox on Etch because you need a recent kernel take a look at this how-to which will instruct you how to install Debian Sarge and eBox using new kernels.

http://trac.ebox-platform.com/wiki/Document/FAQ/HowToInstallWithNewKernels
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 10:25:06 pm by javi »

maconulaff

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 03:14:51 pm »
It is a real shame that you are dropping support for Debian in the future and opting for Ubuntu.  Many of us choose our server platforms for the stability of the system, not the cutting edge features.  Stability is an area in which Debian has an excellent reputation and Ubuntu has yet to prove themselves.

This is a great project and I look forward to your future releases.  I just wish you would maintain a Debian fork...  But I understand entirely the limited resources of a project like yours.  Do you intend to continue to maintain the Sarge version for any set period of time?  Or will support for the Sarge version end when you officially move to the Ubuntu platform?

Thanks again for your incredible work on this fantastic project!

Happy New Year!

austin

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 05:29:43 pm »
It is a real shame that you are dropping support for Debian in the future and opting for Ubuntu.  Many of us choose our server platforms for the stability of the system, not the cutting edge features.  Stability is an area in which Debian has an excellent reputation and Ubuntu has yet to prove themselves.

agreed.. though our company uses both ubuntu and debian I have felt more comfortable with the stability of debian.  Who knows.. there should be a new lts version this year right? maybe ubuntu has something up there sleeve. =]

decibel83

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 12:42:38 am »
We don't have packages for Debian Etch. If you want to install eBox on Etch because you need a recent kernel take a look at this how-to which will instruct you how to install Debian Sarge and eBox using new kernels.
http://trac.ebox-platform.com/wiki/Document/FAQ/HowToInstallWithNewKernels
I cannot use Debian Sarge because of its old packages.
Isn't there a way to install eBox (manually too) on Debian Etch?

Bye and thanks!