Author Topic: ebox memory footprint  (Read 3733 times)

dragonslayr

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: ebox memory footprint
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2009, 07:22:09 pm »
Have several ipcop boxes installed already. Here's one I can get to easily.
Total usage with about 8 clients at the moment is:
        Size            Used    Free    Percentage
RAM    645456    247420    398036

Other data below...

CRON server    RUNNING   1808 kB
DHCP Server    STOPPED   
DNS proxy server    RUNNING   1696 kB
Intrusion Detection System (GREEN)    STOPPED   
Intrusion Detection System (RED)    STOPPED   
Kernel logging server    RUNNING   2048 kB
Logging server    RUNNING   1604 kB
NTP Server    STOPPED   
Secure shell server    RUNNING   3416 kB
VPN    STOPPED   
Web proxy    RUNNING   12200 kB
Web server    RUNNING   5064 kB
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 07:35:11 pm by dragonslayr »

dragonslayr

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2009, 07:55:07 pm »
A quick, not well thoughtout answer would be to kill clamav at start up.  :)

You could add this to your /etc/rc.local file
/etc/init.d/clamav-daemon stop
/etc/init.d/clamav-freshclam stop

The check it like this.
pgrep clam

Remember, the focus of ebox staff has been features. I'm thinking they are well aware they need to go back and tweak things later down the road.. All in good time..

lucho115

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2009, 09:32:58 pm »
A quick, not well thoughtout answer would be to kill clamav at start up.  :)

You could add this to your /etc/rc.local file
/etc/init.d/clamav-daemon stop
/etc/init.d/clamav-freshclam stop

The check it like this.
pgrep clam

Remember, the focus of ebox staff has been features. I'm thinking they are well aware they need to go back and tweak things later down the road.. All in good time..

OK but if i dont select antivirus and in fact i have not installed the antivirus module of ebox why the clamav packages are installed? and why i cant remove them?

cheesyking

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2009, 01:17:27 am »
Code: [Select]
ii  samba-vscan                           0.3.6cbeta5ebox1-2                                              Samba virus scanning VFS module
well you do seem to have the samba virus scanner installed. Don't know why that should be, but clam is used by squid to virus scan your web traffic (IIRC).

What filters are you using with IPCOP? URLFilter is pretty light (depending on the size of your lists!) but COPFilter (which does the additional stuff like virus scanning is a bit heavier)

The thing is that ebox isn't just a firewall/gateway system so it has lots of fat compared to the more targeted distros out there.

If you're looking for just a gateway/proxy setup without wanting to integrate all the other services that ebox has you might want to look at pfsense http://www.pfsense.com/

It's got all the load balancing fail-over stuff you want (as well as a ton of other stuff that ipcop can't do) and should use a lot less ram.

lucho115

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2009, 02:03:04 pm »
ii  samba-vscan                           0.3.6cbeta5ebox1-2                                              Samba virus scanning VFS module
well you do seem to have the samba virus scanner installed. Don't know why that should be, but clam is used by squid to virus scan your web traffic (IIRC).

What filters are you using with IPCOP? URLFilter is pretty light (depending on the size of your lists!) but COPFilter (which does the additional stuff like virus scanning is a bit heavier)

The thing is that ebox isn't just a firewall/gateway system so it has lots of fat compared to the more targeted distros out there.

If you're looking for just a gateway/proxy setup without wanting to integrate all the other services that ebox has you might want to look at pfsense http://www.pfsense.com/

It's got all the load balancing fail-over stuff you want (as well as a ton of other stuff that ipcop can't do) and should use a lot less ram.

OK, but why squid use clamav? i think that if i dont select antivirus is because i dont want that squid scan virus in webs. Ebox have a serius problem with dependencies. In other hand, ebox use clamav 0.94 and this version is been deprecated (http://lwn.net/Articles/355643/).

With ipcop i use dansguardian with a lot of lists, BOT, openvpn, l7filter, Advanced QoS. And i dont use copfilter because is not very stable.

I know pfsense but have several issues with multiwan/failover/loadbalance setups, i know that in version 2 (aka 1.3) will be solved but they are waiting that freebsd 8 was stable to release pfsense 2.

thanks and sorry about my english

javi

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2009, 05:08:25 pm »
OK, but why squid use clamav? i think that if i dont select antivirus is because i dont want that squid
scan virus in webs. Ebox have a serius problem with dependencies

ebox-squid was depending on clamav-daemon. That was a mistake, as ebox-squid can detect if the ebox-antivirus module is installed or not to enble/disable the antivirus feature.

I've just uploaded a new package (ebox-squid 1.2.5) that fixes this.

Now you can do this:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ebox-squid
sudo apt-get remove clamav-daemon

You will get rid of clamd with that.

lucho115

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2009, 05:53:38 pm »
OK, but why squid use clamav? i think that if i dont select antivirus is because i dont want that squid
scan virus in webs. Ebox have a serius problem with dependencies

ebox-squid was depending on clamav-daemon. That was a mistake, as ebox-squid can detect if the ebox-antivirus module is installed or not to enble/disable the antivirus feature.

I've just uploaded a new package (ebox-squid 1.2.5) that fixes this.

Now you can do this:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ebox-squid
sudo apt-get remove clamav-daemon

You will get rid of clamd with that.

OK i did that, but iam still installed "clamav" "clamav-base" "clamav-freshclam" "libclamav5" and i cant remove them because they want to remove dansguardian and ebox-squid. So ?
thanks

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://blogs.zentyal.org/jacalvo
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2009, 06:00:24 pm »
I suppose you should have fixed your memory footprint issues by removing the clamav-daemon. The other packages should only occupy disk space so they are not harmful for your memory consumption.

Regards,

J. A. Calvo
Zentyal Server Lead Developer