Author Topic: Total noob needing help setting up mail server  (Read 2223 times)

KPryor

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Total noob needing help setting up mail server
« on: November 28, 2014, 11:57:36 pm »
Hello everyone,

I am on my 4th attempt at setting up Zentyal as an email server and don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm setting it up at work and only need it as an Internet mail server and nothing else. We have an Untangle firewall and I believe I have all the correct ports being forwarded to the Zentyal machine, but nothing is working.

We have a domain name and I set an A record for mail along with the MX record. If I ping the server mail.domain.com, I get a response. However, I am unable to connect to the server with an email client or send or receive mail.

Since I have an A record simply called mail, should my server hostname be mail.domain.com or should that be the virtual domain or neither one? I'm lost and can't seem to figure out where I'm going wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ken

KPryor

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Total noob needing help setting up mail server
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 01:10:59 am »
After some more experimentation, I can now log in to the webmail and I can send email from it. However, I can not receive any email sent to it and I still can't get Thunderbird or any other email client to connect to it.

KPryor

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 03:40:30 am »
Think I've got the sending and receiving problem figured out. However, I still can't set up an account in an email client and connect to it.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 04:24:54 am by KPryor »

Greyspirit

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 03:18:30 pm »
Having same issue. I just got send/receive working via webmail (sogo). Cannot connect from mobile device at all. Exchange account cannot be verified. Gonna try some more today.