Author Topic: Backup domain data  (Read 2455 times)

ohmer

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Backup domain data
« on: July 25, 2013, 05:38:10 pm »
Hello,

I'm evaluating Zentyal to replace our Open Directory server.  I'm testing Zentyal 3.1 Beta (we will not go in production before September).

I'm searching how I can backup this server.  I found there is a backup tool in Zentyal Web UI for backuping the server.  Does it backup AD domain data (users, groups, gpo)?  Can I restore only that data with the restore tool?  If this tool is not appropriate,  how can I backup/restore all data from the AD domain?

In the event of a disaster that would destroy my two DC, I would like to be able to rebuild my domain without making all the computers to rejoin manually a new domain.  Is it doable?

Thanks!

ohmer

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Backup domain data
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 04:30:18 pm »
So, nobody take backups of their domain data?

christian

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 09:00:39 am »
I don't know if it exists with Zentyal (I mean out of the box) as I'm not running 3.x but as everything related to DC is stored in (Samba) LDAP server, I strongly believe you can achieve your goal running LDAP back-up script that will save the 2 LDAP servers content. (e.g. generating LDIF files)

However, I'm afraid this is not the right way to thing about DRP strategy: even if you backup LDAP servers (what you call "DC data") this will not cover, e.g. mailboxes. Thus if you restore LDAP, you will have mail addresses and missing mailboxes.
You should better thing about global DRP  ;)

ian

• Community Council Member
  • Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
    • Familie site
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 10:31:14 am »
Hello,

The option in de administrator GUI " system > import/export configuration files " gives the possibility to export or import the configuration of the Zentyal domain controller.

The file created by the option export, contains all the user accounts the computer accounts share definitions usergroups refferences. This mean that all your configuration parametars are in the backup file.

On a new installed DC use the option import with the file of the previous backup and all the users computer accounts are there there is no need to join the computers to the new server this is done with the import of the backup file.

Beware only the configuration , no data or e-mails are restored with this option.
Backup the configutations ( export option ) at least each month, because compters automaticly change there passwords, so by restoring ( import ) the configuration with a backupfile older than a mont maybe the computers join not the domain anymorer becaus of there wrong old password.

The is a good tool for managing open Ldap and create LFIF files.

I have used the import/export option of Zentyal several times successful.

Best regards,
Ian

ohmer

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 05:15:47 pm »
Thanks ian!

What's the difference between Import/Export and backup tool?  Backup can be automated, but seem like I need to do the export config manually.

ian

• Community Council Member
  • Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
    • Familie site
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 10:50:43 am »
Hello ohmer,

The option import/export is special for backup and restore of the configuration of the server ( backup of ldap ).
The backup tool is used for data backup and restore.

Best regards,

Ian

jakeelwood

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Backup domain data can be scheduled?
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 12:49:45 pm »
Hi
I would like to schedule automatic function (import / export configuration).
What is the command that I have to put in the "crontab" ?

I'm still using version 2.1 (.....I've had several problems with version 3.2 and the samba module).
Thanks and Happy New Year!