Author Topic: LPD printers - how to setup?  (Read 2873 times)

DarS

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
LPD printers - how to setup?
« on: June 22, 2009, 05:53:00 am »
Hello,
I have a laser printer connected to a remote (LAN) print server. The latter is an old SMC Barricade (7004BR) router which has built-in LPD print server functionality. The print server queue is accessible via lpd://PRINT_SERVER_IP/lp. And this is the problem  :-(
I cannot force eBox to setup properly the LPD printing. The eBox interface gives me several options for setup, but none actually allows to setup 'lpd' mode. The available options (modes) are:
- USB => for locally connected devices
- parallel => for locally connected devices
- Network printer
- Samba

I tried last both modes, but failed with the following results:
- Network printer => the eBox set up the following device: socket://PRINT_SERVER_IP:9100
- Samba => the eBox set up the following device: smb://lpd://PRINT_SERVER_IP/lp

So I am wondering what to do to achieve desired lpd://PRINT_SERVER_IP/lp. Note that LPD printing is fully supported by CUPS, so the issue is with eBox and not with CUPS.

I know Perl a bit so I am ready for more advanced troubleshooting and coding (if necessary). I guess all the changes which needs to be done are somewhere in printer schemas which define 'printer modes'. However, I could not find such schemas. Could anyone help me here?

Regards,
-Darek

javi

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: LPD printers - how to setup?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 04:10:22 pm »
We have just added support for lpd and ipp in our development branch. We should release this in a couple of days...

allidys9821

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Duplex Printer
Re: LPD printers - how to setup?
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 07:51:01 am »
i was also searching same like information can some also share with me