Author Topic: Feature request: immediate delivery rather than Send/Receive polling  (Read 1828 times)

wdowns

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
I understand that the immediate delivery feature of Exchange/Outlook is not currently supported, and we have to rely on Send/Receive polling to get mail.  I would like to know if implementing this feature is "in the works"?

I am a developer and could possibly contribute to implementing it, if I can be directed to the right code and/or discussion forums.

robb

Re: Feature request: immediate delivery rather than Send/Receive polling
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 10:11:42 pm »
Hi wdowns
Thank you for the offer of helping out with development.
Currently all code is on github. Unfortunately we do not have a development subforum (yet?) but there is a development mailinglist.

jkerihuel

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 03:50:25 pm »
Hi wdowns,

I understand that the immediate delivery feature of Exchange/Outlook is not currently supported, and we have to rely on Send/Receive polling to get mail.  I would like to know if implementing this feature is "in the works"?

Actually the feature already exists. It is made of a LMTP module for dovecot that triggers a newmail notification to one openchange subsystem called ocsmanager. The latest injects the notification into the payload of a MAPI response. This code is however not integrated/enabled in zentyal-openchange because we plan to take a different approach with rabbitMQ in place of ocsmanager.

I am a developer and could possibly contribute to implementing it, if I can be directed to the right code and/or discussion forums.

All contributions are welcome.

The following code should guide you some more to this regards:
https://github.com/openchange/openchange/tree/master/mapiproxy/services/plugins/dovecot

Br,
Julien
Twitter: http://twitter.com/jkerihuel
Key fingerprint = 08BA 50B1 9EFF 8E1E FB4A  24FA B2A9 D5F3 9624 1CC2

wdowns

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 06:52:11 pm »
Hi Julien,

I finally got around to revisiting this topic.  It appears the notifications service is ready to be tested (https://github.com/openchange/openchange/tree/master/mapiproxy/services/plugins/dovecot)

but when I did some exploring in the existing Zentyal, I saw that /usr/share/zentyal/stubs/mail/dovecot.conf.mas contains conditional code for enabling notifications, depending on the $notificationsReady argument.

My question is, what is the safest way to enable testing of notifications without breaking a standard (latest updates) Zentyal install?  If I just compile and install the plugin, will Zentyal detect its presence and set the notificationsReady flag?  Should I manually override that by editing the .mas file?  Or is there another procedure for testing that I should follow?

Thanks in advance, Warren