Author Topic: Zentyal blocks all network access on Xen Virtual Server  (Read 1960 times)

Holanda3232

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Zentyal blocks all network access on Xen Virtual Server
« on: November 10, 2013, 09:30:22 pm »
Hello everyone,

I use Zentyal for a while now at home and am quite happy with it. Now I want to also use it on a Xen VPS which is hosted in a data center. I did get access to the vanilla Ubuntu 12.04 x64 and installed Zentyal 3.2. The web based configuration works fine until the network configuration is reached. I left the network settings untouched as I wanted to have a look at this after the setup and clicked through until it applied the configuration. The problem now is that after Zentyal starts up the network module all access to the server gets blocked. After a reboot the system can be accessed via SSH for roughly 1 or 2 minutes before Zentyal has started up completely and again blocks all access. I did check the /etc/network/interfaces configuration but there everything looks fine to me. Do you have any idea on what might be the cause of my issues? Also do you know how I can stop Zentyal from starting so I at least have the SSH access to see if I can get more details?

Thanks already,
Daniel

christian

Re: Zentyal blocks all network access on Xen Virtual Server
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 09:35:17 pm »
Is your network interface stamped as "external" ?

half_life

• Bug Hunter
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 11:29:17 pm »
If you are being cut off about 2 minutes in then it would seem to me that you have a problem with how your firewall is configured (as Christian points out have you designated external interfaces) .  If you need to suppress zentyal starting, you will need to move /etc/init.d/zentyal to another directory to inhibit it starting. 

Login and :
Code: [Select]
mv /etc/init.d/zentyal  /root
reboot

The reboot is required because that script has already started therefore kicking you out again.  Once the machine is booted, you can copy the script back to its original location and selectively start services.

Holanda3232

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 10:54:47 pm »
Thanks for replying!

I did copy the startup script to another location and am now at least able to SSH into the server again.

The network had been set up as an internal port and I did create rules to allow SSH and Zentyal-admin traffic to pass the firewall (both from internal as well as external ports). However I think my issues are related to the networking module and not the firewall as I did not even enable the firewall and just had applied the changes (meaning enabled the networking) when I got disconnected.

Having a look at the server configuration I noticed that the /etc/network/interfaces gets reset every time the server starts and always assigns a fixed IPv6 address to my only network connection (eth0). I think I read somewhere that Zentyal does not yet support IPv6 - could this provoke any issues?

When I follow half_lifes advice and copy back the init script and start the Zentyal core module only I gain access to the web admin again. Once I start the network module I get blocked again from accessing the server.

I will appreciate any hint on what causes these issues.

Regards,
Daniel

half_life

• Bug Hunter
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 04:57:33 am »
Maybe it would be expedient to remove the zentyal-networking packages and re-install?  I still think it has something to do with the firewall.  I am not sure but it would make sense that the firewall configuration would be called if the network interfaces were brought up.